Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shared 15V power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

In most my projects i need 12V for gate drivers on primary side. I got an idea of building one shared 15V power supply. In "project device" - there will be 12V linear stabilizer with decoupling caps and one bigger cap for current spikes. I will be using twisted cables for powering those devices. What do you think about it? I hate creating 12V power supplies again and again.

Last edited:
A 5.5 / 2.1 mm or 5.5 / 2.5mm roca style connector such as those is pretty much standard on DC supplies around 12V - 15V.

You could stick to those as a standard then you could also use off-the-shelf PSUs, as they are often cheaper than buying parts. They are what I normally use on prototypes, one offs and test gear etc.
12V "CCTV" power units are very common.

eg.

Thanks. Do you think its better to have 12V DC out and just filtering caps in inputs/outputs or higher voltage which will be in final device stabilized to 12V?
I think second option is better. For noise and voltage stabilization.

I'd stick with 12V direct. Linear regulators will be wasting a lot of power and producing heat, if you are using significant current - and switched mode ones will add noise and need filtering anyway.

I'd just use a reservoir cap and high frequency caps in the end device, if the load is pulsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back