Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Severe Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgeliving

Hello all!

I'm trying to build my own Pic-programmer!
Ive built Jdm!

Ive installed the 2000 drivers (I run XP)

When I try to program the Pic (16F84A) I get Programming failed at adress 000h! Ive tried all sort of software. I have run Jdm84.exe and it tells me it cannot find any programmer! Probably it is a hardware-error?

I dont know how to (where) to measure the voltage on the programmer!
Does anybody know? Please help me i'm desperate! ;)

JDM is very simple device that uses tricks to to do the job.
This is also why it fails to perform that often. Standard issue
is type of serial port. They are not all the same and JDM works
on those ports that have ample power (on the upper side of the
232 spec). Many COM ports are just fine but don't have enough
power to bring JDM to working condition. (Usually laptops, USB<>232
converters, COM ports integrated in motherboards etc.)
You should provide more details in order to receive helpful replies
(CPU speed of your PC, type of COM port, Cable, Software etc.).
You should also measure some voltages to ensure that part of circuit
is ok and levels are acceptable (5 and 13V). You should check if you
are using correct COM port and if that port works (simple
hyperterminal connection to another port using crossover cable will do).
Maybe the port is correct and ok but used by another application.
Maybe the software setup is not ok...
There are just so many thing that could go wrong. You will have to
try harder to find (or describe) the problem...

Now its working better ;)

Stupid Me had soldered the Sub-25 at the wrong direction! ;) So that pin 1 was in pin 13's place! ;)

Instead of always getting failed att 000h I now get failed at 0004h and 0009h, seems to be different every time. I have measured 11.45 & 5.17 V on the programmer! Is that to low? Could it be that the Pic now is damaged?

I have a 1.2 Ghz AMD and run IC-Prog!

Re: Now its working better ;)

edgeliving said:
Stupid Me had soldered the Sub-25 at the wrong direction! ;) So that pin 1 was in pin 13's place! ;)

Instead of always getting failed att 000h I now get failed at 0004h and 0009h, seems to be different every time. I have measured 11.45 & 5.17 V on the programmer! Is that to low? Could it be that the Pic now is damaged?

I would suspect 11.45V is too low, I would like to see 13V on the MCLR pin, 12V tends to give problems. This is often the problem with simple serial port programmers, it relies on the serial port been above spec.

PIC's are pretty sturdy devices, I've never managed to kill one yet - although I did burn my fingers on one after putting it in a socket the wrong way round!.

How can I get a higher voltage?

Is it just to put like a 1.5 v battery + in to the programmer and - to gnd or what can i do?? Im realy a beginner at this! ;)

Re: Now its working better ;)

Nigel Goodwin said:
edgeliving said:

I would suspect 11.45V is too low, I would like to see 13V on the MCLR pin, 12V tends to give problems. This is often the problem with simple serial port programmers, it relies on the serial port been above spec.

PIC's are pretty sturdy devices, I've never managed to kill one yet - although I did burn my fingers on one after putting it in a socket the wrong way round!.

I managed to short one out between MCLR & GND after programming. Still looking for the reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back