Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seven Segment Multiplexing Transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I'm driving 9V common Anode seven segments.I need TO220 package transistors specially high speed ones.

Can somebody recommend me very common ones.The below method gives some unbehaviour results.

Last edited:
hi Suraj,
With the ULN2003A the 100 ohm resistors are not required on the inputs.

Consider if all the 7 segments are ON, at say 15mA each thats ~100mA, in saturation the gain of Q2 will be around 10, so a Base current of 10mA is required.

The 4k7 base resistor will allow only ~2.3mA so Q2 will not be in saturation, use a 1K5 base resistor, also its good practice to connect a resistor from Base to Emitter of Q2, this provides a leakage current path.

There should also be segment resistors to limit the LED current, one for each segment, say 100R. On the output pins of the ULN

When you say a 9V LED , I dont follow ???

E.

Last edited:
I'm driving 9V common Anode seven segments.I need TO220 package transistors specially high speed ones.

No need for 'high speed' ones, it's only a slow application.

I would suggest considerably reducing R1 in value, in order to increase the base current to make the PNP switch, rather than working in a linear mode.

Hi Eric & Nigel.

Now I got it.I'll reduce R1 to 1.5K.

Eric
"The 4k7 base resistor will allow only ~2.3mA" how did you calculate this?

Note that I'm multiplexing 4 seven segments.The diagram shows only one.Also I have put the current limiting resistors on the input side which is wrong.In the real application I have mount on output side of the ULN2003.

Last edited:
hi,
A 'rough' calculation of 11V [allowing for 1V loss across the transistors] 11v/4700 = 2.3mA

For the record Q1 isn't even needed. Remove it and tie R1 directly to RA0.

Last edited:
Jon,
For the record, that is wrong.

Doing that Q2 will never turn OFF.

E.

You are correct. I failed to see that he was driving the anode from a 12V supply.

However...I would also add a collector resistor between Q1's collector and the 12V supply to keep the base of Q2 from floating when Q1's base is pulled low.

You are correct. I failed to see that he was driving the anode from a 12V supply.

However...I would also add a collector resistor between Q1's collector and the 12V supply to keep the base of Q2 from floating when Q1's base is pulled low.

The 4k7 base resistor will allow only ~2.3mA so Q2 will not be in saturation, use a 1K5 base resistor, also its good practice to connect a resistor from Base to Emitter of Q2, this provides a leakage current path.

Jon,
Already suggested that.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back