• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seven segment issue (TPIC6C596)

Manoj_maniyan

Hi guys,
Can anyone help with my question?
I am using Seven segment cathode display. I need to display 1., 2., 3., 4., etc. When i do coding like B00111111 | B10000000, this should display as 0. (zero+dot)
But I am not getting this result. I am getting only ‘.’ (dot)
I don’t know why dp is getting prioritization when I add to another digit.
digitalWrite(STCP_pin, LOW);
{
shiftOut(DS_pin, SHCP_pin, MSBFIRST, dec_digits[(buf & 0x0f)] | 0x80) // dp ‘on’
} else {
shiftOut(DS_pin, SHCP_pin, MSBFIRST, dec_digits[(buf & 0x0f)]); // no dp
}
digitalWrite(STCP_pin, HIGH);
Help me?

Redefining the question:

I think I have an issue with the shift register.
am using TPIC6C596 shift register and this register is capable of sending 8 bits. When I start sending 8 bits, I am getting only the last bit (i.e decimal point). But without the 8th bit (decimal point), my shift register can transfer whole 7 bits at a time. May i get the solution for this? When I implement in the proteus I am getting proper output. while doing the same in the hardware, I face the issue. For example, 0b00000110, I am getting the value as 1. if i do, 0b00000110 | 0b10000000, I am getting only .(dot) without 1. I should get 1.(one + dot). shiftOut(DS_pin, SHCP_pin, MSBFIRST, dec_digits[(buf - 0x30)]|0x80); What will be the issue.?

0r my doubt is when supply goes to decimal point, all the other pins goes to OFF condition.
When supply don’t go to the decimal point, all the other pins goes to ON condition.
Is that correct?

Attachments

Dr_Doggy

break it down so you can see where error occures:

byte a = (buf - 0x30);
byte b = dec_digits[a]|0x80; // <--- i suspect problem here
shiftOut(DS_pin, SHCP_pin, MSBFIRST, b);

Last edited:

rjenkinsgb

Most Helpful Member
I think you will need a separate resistor between the driver IC and each segment, rather than a "shared" resistor.
That will define the current for each segment separately and prevent interactions.

Manoj_maniyan

I think you will need a separate resistor between the driver IC and each segment, rather than a "shared" resistor.
That will define the current for each segment separately and prevent interactions.

Yes you are correct. But now I have connected 4 shift registers and 4 seven segments. The values are displaying only in the three segments and the last one is not displaying. I am using arduino. But the supply is going to all the pins perfectly.

Last edited:

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles