Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

seven segment led display homemade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebut44111

Would it be possible to make a seven segment led display using individual leds behind a faceplate with slits cut in it..... I know I can make the faceplate and the isolate the light from each individual led I just dont know how much power the individual leds would use compared to a normal seven segment led display.

Why Not Just Use A 7 Segment Led And Save Some Trouble i think Individial l.e.d's would actually take more current to power them then a 7 segment l.e.d Display Cause the l.e.d's used in the display's are much smaller and thus use less power correct me if im wrong :)

There is no reason your home-made 7-segment display would use more power than a commercial unit, unless you are making it larger, and I can't think of a reason to make your own otherwise.

Yes it is possible to make your own 7 segment display using LED's.I did it once and I used flat top LED's. You can make either common anode or common cathode types.Only thing to keep in mind is that the operating current of a LEDs must be limited to a safe value via a series resistor connected to either the C or A. So go ahead.

Cheers !

Seems like a lot of work to me and money making a Led Display When U Can Buy One For Like $2 But Unless Ur Real Disprete or bored... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back