Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo operating angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunManners

Hi All,

I am working on a project and bought myself a couple of Hitec servos. I have now built an astable circuit using a 555 timer and controlling it with an input thats between 0 and 10v (10v makes the pulse 2ms and 0v makes it 1ms).

When I tested it, the servo arm didn't move the 180 degrees I was expecting (when no power applied I can move it 180) I had a look at the datasheet for the servo and it says it has an operating angle of "40? one side pulse traveling 400usec"

I am new to servos (as you can probably tell) and I was wondering, what does the "one side pulse" bit mean? I am uncertain as to whether it should travel only 40, or 80. yet while it doesn't travel the full 180 I was expecting, its certainly more than 80.

The other thing is that in the instructions is says a control pulse of between 0.9ms and 2.1ms, if my circuit is giving out 1-2ms do I need to tune it to make the servo move further or is it moving to its fullest extent already.

I appreciate you probably cant answer all of this, but any comments would be welcome!

Cheers
Shaun

Servos aren't designed to move 180 degrees, probably 90 degrees is about the most?, although by extending the pulses (both less and more) you can get them to exceed their design limits considerably.

hi Shaun,
Post a link to the datasheet.:)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Servos aren't designed to move 180 degrees, probably 90 degrees is about the most?, although by extending the pulses (both less and more) you can get them to exceed their design limits considerably.

Thanks Nigel, so it would seem then that all is working fine. Any ideas about the "one side pulse" bit?

Regards
Shaun

I have tried posting two messages with a link to the datasheet, but neither have appeared, and the message that comes up afterwards goes away too quick for me to read! maybe they have to be approved?

the servo is a Hitec HS5245MG.

Regards
Shaun

hi,
Here is an extract:

Last edited:
Thanks Eric,

It would seem then that it has 90 degree motion range. I will measure it anyway just to be sure. I am also thinking of getting an Oscilloscope to test the pulse from my circuit.

The pc-control article is a good read and explains it well, I am still unsure about what a one side pulse is... but I think I'll just drop that one!

Regards
Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back