Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuliginouswolf

Hey Guys, im making my own tilt servo bracket similar to the one in the picture attached, as part of a school project for an adjustable wing for my whole miniature go kart, but it is due in a few days and i do not own a servo controller/tester or have the time to buy one in time. So im thinking of detaching the plug and wiring the + and - wires to a dpdt toggle switch with a center off, I'm also thinking of removing the circuit board in the servo and re-soldering two wires on the motor as the wires aren't long enough. What i want to know is that will this work, will the servo operate in left and right if i flick the switch? please i really need help quick and can you put it in simple English as i know practically nothing about electronics. Thank You!
41lKT5mq0hL._SX342_.jpg

If you drive the motor direct you will lose the servo action, there are quite a few sources out there for a simple circuit to drive it.
Driving direct will be very hit-and-miss.
Max.

If you Google something like "servo tester" you will find many design. (Mostly based on the NE555 IC) Here is one I built to control an air valve on my furnace.

Les.

If you Google something like "servo tester" you will find many design. (Mostly based on the NE555 IC) Here is one I built to control an air valve on my furnace.

Les.

Im in secondary school doing my final exams i cant build something like that :( will what he did to the motor work if i do it as long as i add resistors to slow the current entering the motor!..

If you use this method it is open loop, relies on your reaction time to stop precisely.
The alternative is the 555 circuits out there.
Max.

If you remove the position sensing potentiometer and any mechanical stops you can drive the motor in either direction (By reversing the polarity) and control the speed by controlling the voltage. You will not have any position control without some device that gives position information (Like the potentiometer you would have removed.) and a feedback system that compared the desired position with the actual position. If yoy left the potentiometer in the servo you could re design the electronics to compare the voltage on the slider of the potentiometer with a voltage that woul represent the desired position. This would be more complex than a simple pulse generator.

Les.

If you use this method it is open loop, relies on your reaction time to stop precisely.
The alternative is the 555 circuits out there.
Max.

i think thats okay as thats how i viewed it working,that it'll move move either clockwise or anti clockwise depending on the toggle switch and i'd have to toggle it off when i want. i'll put resistors to make sure it rotates slowly or use a lower voltage battery or both.

If you remove the position sensing potentiometer and any mechanical stops you can drive the motor in either direction (By reversing the polarity) and control the speed by controlling the voltage. You will not have any position control without some d didevice that gives position information (Like the potentiometer you would have removed.) and a feedback system that compared the desired position with the actual position. If yoy left the potentiometer in the servo you could re design the electronics to compare the voltage on the slider of the potentiometer with a voltage that woul represent the desired position. This would be more complex than a simple pulse generator.

Les.
i dont need it to be in certain positions, i just need the wing to be adjustable, as long as the motor rotates clockwise or anticlockwise and i can stop it when i want its okay

Just connect directly to the motor and it will work.
I disagree.

What do you (fuliginouswolf) have available? Do you have an LM555 or NE555? How about a simple inverter? Do you have any capacitors or resistors? If none of the foregoing, just skip school and miss the embarrassment.

If you have something to work with, what do you have?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back