Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

servo jitter during power-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtommer

im currently building a RC car and controlling the left/right steering mechanism using a servo.

Each time i switch on my power supply to power the circuit, the servo tends to jitter abit causing the servo to unwantedly turn
I believe this is caused by the power supply spiking during the transition from off to on when i turn on the circuit using a switch.

In the course of troubleshooting, when I removed the PWM input wire to the motor, the spike was still there when "SWITCHED ON" . however, when i removed the power supply input to the servo, there was no jitter whatsoever when "SWITCHED ON"

This confirms that the culprit is the power supply rail. I tried to add filter caps between the power rail and ground but the jitter did not go away.

Coming back from the lab (like 5 mins ago), I googled to see how I can fix the problem and flyback diodes came-up ..However, fly-back diodes seem to be used to counter the spikes during power-off. My servo does not jitter during power-off but only during power-on.

Is there any way which I can remove this jittering caused by the power rail spike during power-on? thanks=)

ps.s my servos are calibrated to idle at 1.5ms. and at the point of discussion , there are no PWM signals entering the servo. just the power supply and the ground connection.;)

Last edited:
AFIK the problem is internal to the servos. They will do it whenever the power lead is reconnected, regardless if the 1.5ms pulse train is present or not.

Try, for what it's worth, bring up the power supply slowly manually with and without a pulse train, but I doubt there will be any differences.

You don't mention what is controlling the servo so this is only a guess, try tying the signal wire to ground with a 10k resistor.

Mike.

Why do you need to turn the steering servo power off on a RC car? :eek:

Under no-load the servo probably consumes less than 20mA, many are under 10mA.

i have had this problem i used a ferrite ring on the signal input turned 4 times around and it solved the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back