Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I have received so many good advice in this forum that I would like to ask one question.
However this is not electronics related directly although the problem arises from working with a microprocessor so it is indirectly linked.

You all know Terminals, right? I use Tera Term (in windows) and CoolTerm (in mac and windows). This to see the data transmitted by a microprocessor serial port. Now that is all fine but....

if I disconect this (a STM32 nucleo) and connect it again, the terminal lose the connection and is not reconnected again. (this does not happen in mac and also the terminals of the arduino are ok with this)

However I want to see the serial messages that the MCU is sending me since it is connected. Obivusly if I restart tera term, there are some precious seconds where I wont see the data..

my question is: is there a way a terminal program can recognize a serial port (PORT10 for example) , reconnect to it and start receiving the data???

(as I said I remeber vaguely mac doing this and also arduino)

Any help greatly appreciated

I use PuTTY and IIRC it resolves the disconnect automatically. I don't have anything to test to confirm that. But I think it's <1MB and free, so not hurting anything to try it.

I don't think I understand the question correctly. I can't see why a terminal program should know (or care) if the remote ("DCE") device has been unplugged.

Could your problem be related to handshaking or flow control? Might it be possible to fool the PC into thinking the serial connection is still plugged in by tieing some of the handshaking lines, or just dissabling handshaking in the terminal programme?

Also why do you disconnect it during a test? I'm confused.

Get a PC with real hardware serial port instead of emulating one thru USB.

Get a PC with real hardware serial port instead of emulating one thru USB.

Agree. Most USB serial ports do not work the same as a true hardware port. OK, do not work well at all. OK, just suck.

ak

Also why do you disconnect it during a test? I'm confused.
Well, I had a problem (I solved it already) that only happened when I connected (and powered ) the device. If I rewrote the firmware or reset it the problem didnt arise. I was not using a proper debugger so I wanted to use serial messages to see what was happening since the very first moment and I needed to unplug and plug it.

Turns out I solved it in other way but the curiosity is still there...

Thanks to all :)

You could try adding a resistor to pull the serial line into the idle state when the device isn't connected. There shouldn't then be any change of state when the device is connected, and the first change will be the first edge of the start bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back