Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IWISS IWS-2820M Crimpers (exhaustive list of terminals they can crimp)?

TheJay

Hey everyone, I am trying to find a complete list of terminals that can be crimped with the IWISS IWS-2820M.

So far I have the following:

JST SH 1.0, GH 1.25, ZH 1.5, PH 2.0, XH 2.5 & EH 2.5MM Terminals?
Dupont ? Terminals
Jam ? Terminals
Molex PicoBlade Terminals
Molex SL Terminals
Molex KK-100 Terminals
Tyco ? Terminals

It's very confusing knowing which wire gauge is compatible looking at the tool, to decipher which sizes will work:

6_2_1001x1001.webp

There are numbers at the top, which do not correlate with the mm2 dimensions.

Could anyone please fill in the gaps where I have added question marks and include any other terminals missing from the list? Clarification on the numbers would be great too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Guesswork.

Just about anything within the size range will fit in and be "squashed", but whether any can actually be crimped correctly [in the electrical connection sense] is pure chance.

With a generic tool such as that, I always solder the connection after closing the connector on to the wire tight enough to hold.

With miniature connectors such as those tools cover, the dies have to be the exact correct size & shape, and there is a very small range of compression from where the connection become a true "crimp" with a gastight cold weld formed between the wire and terminal, and over-compression (or wrong die form) that starts to deform, crack or shear the terminal.

The connector manufacturers specific tool with the wire gauge(s) its specified for should give the correct compression; nothing else is guaranteed to.

Yep, appreciate it's not the optimal solution but when you have already have a tool and a job to do, it makes sense to use what you have. I'm trying to organise my tools and make it clear what each is used for by making labels for my toolboxes.

I'd say soldering after crimping is a good idea.

So if anyone knows which connectors it will crimp/can help with my list, I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you very much.

That's interesting. I own two very cheap crimping tools, neither of which will do a satisfactory job on it's own. But I can "pre-process" the connection with one and crimp it tight with the other, which then works instead of mangling the terminal. It's adequate for me - good job I don't crimp terminals very often.

Just can't justtify the expense of a proper tool.

I've just been having a look at the listing for that tool on AliExpress. I think you are getting too involved in the detail of the thing - it's a generic crimper. The fact that there is a 3 stage procedure to crimp a terminal tells you everything you need to know, really. Though if the photos are genuine (and the end result looks bad enough to be genuine), I'm inclined to think it's better than what I've got. My crimps never look that good!
BUT I then look at other tools in the range and seeing depressingly familiar model numbers there... It all comes from the same factory, they just put different brands on it. Same with a lot of multimeters.
Seriously, don't worry about the details of what it can crimp - you just have to try it and see.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back