Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Output logic inversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I used to know this, but I have forgotten. :eek:

To connect the serial output (TX) from a PIC that has a USART to the SerialDataIn Pin of a computer's serial port requires a logic inversion, right? That is normally provided in a MAX232, which also provides negative level shift.

AFAICR, I have done this before with nothing but a simple inverter operating between 0V and 5V. I know that the RS232 spec expects the logic level to swing below 0V, but it seems to work ok even if it doesn't.

Yes it needs to be inverted. :)

If you need a hardware inverter solution you can use a NPN transistor (as open-collector) with a pullup resistor on it's collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back