Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial in parallel out shift register

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same question, but for my case is to create a 16 bit shift register with 2 x 8 bit shift register. Anyone can help? Thanks

you guys gotta be more specific with your requests.

What are the shift registers connected to?
A PC, or a microcontroller?
What kind of microcontroller are you using?
Do you have a schematic?
How do you code? C or assembly?

Hi,

As about my problem, I'm new in electronic and I have basic knowledge in programming and digital devices. So I'm not sure which part and what kind of devices that I should use to build this circuit. I heard some of them said I need to use (uC), but I'm not good in programming. However, I try to tell as much details as I can to build this circuit. Here is my problem:

1. I need to build a 16 bit shift register with 2 x 8 bit SIPO shift register. *Serial In Parallel Out circuit.
2. I don't know what part that I need to use.
3. I don't know how to program the uC. (But I have some basic knowledge in C).
4. I'm trying to simulate the circuit in a computer program before I build my actual circuit. So I will try to do everything that you teach me in simulator first. I think the program has got enough parts for me to simulate this circuit.
5. I intend to build this circuit for pc. (Data coming from PC). So I believe I need to use uC; however, I just need a concept to create the 16 bit SIPO circuit then I think it okay for me.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
you would need to search for a 74HC595 circuit.
you can also use a 74HC164, which does not have a latch and saves two pins (if you do not have enough pins in your circuit)

If you need 16 bits, you can cascade two shift registers together.

here are some links:
Arduino - ShiftOut
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Good Luck

4. I'm trying to simulate the circuit in a computer program before I build my actual circuit. So I will try to do everything that you teach me in simulator first. I think the program has got enough parts for me to simulate this circuit.

5. I intend to build this circuit for pc. (Data coming from PC). So I believe I need to use uC; however, I just need a concept to create the 16 bit SIPO circuit then I think it okay for me.

have a look at this link. you can download a model of a 74HC595 for proteus.
**broken link removed**

if you are using the serial port, you don't need a microcontroller. You can toggle DTR and RTS pins to send the data. Latching can be done via TXD pin. You should probably use a max232 circuit.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm trying to create the circuit now and I'm curious about the maximum bit that a shift register can do. For my case now is to make a 16 bit shift register, but what would be the maximum bit that a shift register can take? Possible to make it like say few thousand bits? Or it will only be able to hold for few hundreds bits?

Last edited:
I have some questions about this register, it is a 74HC595, but I don't understand the name for each pin. Can anyone explain that for me?

**broken link removed**

What mean by RCK, SRCK, SRCLRBAR, GBAR and QHS?

Thanks alot.

Last edited:
I have some questions about this register, it is a 74HC595, but I don't understand the name for each pin. Can anyone explain that for me? ]

What mean by RCK, SRCK, SRCLRBAR, GBAR and QHS?

Thanks alot.

hi,
Look at this image.
Where did you get that diagram.?:)

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 814
Hi,

Thanks for the details, I got that diagram in micro cap. By the way, what is the latch and shift clocks? and also what is the purpose to use them? Can I fit in both with the same clock pulse? So in order to keep the circuit working, both GBAR and SRCLRBAR must be remained as logic "1" ? If I intend to make a 16 bits SIPO circuit, is that I need to fit QHS to the SER input in the next 74HC595?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the details, I got that diagram in micro cap. By the way, what is the latch and shift clocks? and also what is the purpose to use them? Can I fit in both with the same clock pulse? So in order to keep the circuit working, both GBAR and SRCLRBAR must be remained as logic "1" ? If I intend to make a 16 bits SIPO circuit, is that I need to fit QHS to the SER input in the next 74HC595?

Thanks

hi,
Get the datasheet for the 74HC595 from Datasheet Archive - Free Datasheet Search Engine - PDF Datasheets - Data Sheet - Datasheet - Application Note - Free Texas Instruments Samples

Anytime you start working on a new device, get the datasheet and study it.
Understanding the datasheet will save you hours of grief.:rolleyes:

BTW: the 'BAR' part of the 'label' just means that the signal is active LOW.
Usually written so, /SRCLR , /G or with a bar over the label.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the details about that, any idea about the maximum bit that a single serial in parallel out shift register can handle? Is that possible to get a register to have a 64 or 128 or more bits shift in one single shift register? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the details about that, any idea about the maximum bit that a single serial in parallel out shift register can handle? Is that possible to get a register to have a 64 or 128 or more bits shift in one single shift register? Thanks.

Some S/R's do have that length, but not all the outputs are on pins.!

Look at the HEF4031 and HEF4517 and HEF4557

or you can connect any number of 8 bit S/R's in series.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a shift register can be used as a demultiplexer? If so can you show a diagram or explain? I'm a new member

I don't know how a single shift register can be a demultiplexer. Perhaps two shift registers and two and gates can???

After thinking abou it, it's possible to demultiplex with a single shift register, if the register is twice a long at the longest packet being demultiplxed. But you'd need external control circuitry.

Last edited:
Project Question Using Shift Registers and ADC

Hello all, I am a newbie to this site as well as newbie programmer. 2 topics I want to discuss.

Here is my project. I am building RC robots which have 16 line sensors (2-Pololu QTR-8RC) on them which output digital. I also have 6 position sensors on each robot which output analog 0V-5V. I want to read the line sensors and position sensors separately and then have the robots react to them. I am using a PSoC microcontroller for each robot with XBee wireless RF.

1. For the line sensors I was thinking of have 2 8-bit Shift Registers chained together. The line sensors need to be read in parallel...so I was thinking of having one 8-bit parallel in serial out to another 8-bit serial in parallel out. I have these available to me (not looking to spend more money). Will this work or is there another way of chaining them (1 8-bit parallel in serial out to a 8-bit serial in serial out? Which is better? I am looking at these sites to get a sense of programming.

**broken link removed**
Arduino - ShiftOut

2. For the position sensors I am confused on how to get the data across.
I have 6 position sensors which output analog signals. I was thinking ADC but I am not sure this is what I want because I want a range (such as
if the robot distance is 2V (say 20 cm) then it will do this or if the robot distance is 5V (say 80cm) then is will do something else. I do not think converting Analog to Digital will solve this problem. Any advice???

Thanks all for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back