Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial + ASCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

scomi

There is an include file for my project, which is the lcd.asm.
From my main file, i have Print_Char:
In the lcd.asm:
Code:
;---------------------------------------------------
;         Show an ASCII Character on the LCD
;
; Input: W = character
;
Print_Char:
    goto    LCDdata
Code:
;------------------------------------------------------------------
;              Send Data Byte to LCD
;
; Input: W = data byte
;
LCDdata:
    incf    lcd_address    ; update cursor position
    bsf    LCD_RS
LCD_write:
    movwf    lcd_dat
    call    lcd_hi
    bsf    LCD_E
    nop
    bcf    LCD_E
    call    lcd_lo
    bsf    LCD_E
    nop
    bcf    LCD_E
    goto    wait100        ; wait 100uS

;------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this code the one that will display the character as what we can see on the LCD? (I mean decimal). As I am planning to use this to convert my binary string to readable decimal at the hyperterminal. Thanks

You should adopt an open source license Nigel, so people can't rip you off if you find your code somewhere else for profit =)
The GNU General Public License - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
If you haven't already looked into it, or care. It's a quick copy and paste license that gives you some pretty good options if legality ever comes up. Commonly called a "Copy Left" =)

Last edited:
Thanks, but the routine seems a bit different. Hopefully my question can be answered specifically. Thanks

Any code I've written for a PIC that I value I've not made available on the web site. Anything that is on there I've kind of accepted I have no control over.

There's some guy in Canada currently selling an RGB controller kit with my RGB Driver code in it, even has a link back to my site. What can you do?

I know Big Clive bigclive.com had a similar issue and now only sells kits with code protected PICs.

Any code I've written for a PIC that I value I've not made available on the web site. Anything that is on there I've kind of accepted I have no control over.

Depends what you want out of life?, I've taken off the net, so I give back to the net - good karma all round.

Depends what you want out of life?, I've taken off the net, so I give back to the net - good karma all round.
Well exactly, that was the original ethos behind the picprojects website and still is. It's the real world and I knew it would happen sooner or later, but when you find someone selling your code it still kind of rubs the wrong way.

There is a certain irony to my specifc example as well. I found Big Clives RGB controller back in 2004 but he didn't give the code away, so I thought I'd have a go at writing one myself and share it with others and so I did and I imagine that didn't help his sales.

My site is/was good for people with a fair bit of technical ability, but the stream of emails I get suggested that selling PCBs and PICs would open it up to a lot more people who can maybe solder a few parts togther but aren't into the whole PIC/MCU thing.

This is where the dichotomy lies; selling stuff makes it accesible to more people, but then you have to start thinking about protecting the investment which kind of goes against the original ethos.

Well as Earl Hickey says "Do good things and good things happen to you. Do bad things, they'll come back to haunt you." Hopefully on balance I've done more of the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back