Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SEPIC, SMPS, LVR, :S which do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannix

I have a solar system (will have) I need both a +5v (1-1.5A) and +12v (2-3A) supply for some circuits, the input voltage will be between 10v-17v I therefore need some way to get 12v and 5v efficiently I dont want to use 7805's or 7812's as they waste so much.

So having read about I am left with SEPIC and SMPS

MAX649 or LM2937 seem to be talked about alot for 5v does anyone have a schematic for the best one?

What should I use for 12v? would it be better to increase the 12v load from 2-3A to 4A and feed the 5v regulator from that?

Are SEPICs better? what is the difference?

I don't know if ripple and all that other stuff is a problem I am supplying a thermostat, light sensor, volt / amp meter, LED array, fan and 15w heater.

any help is most apreciated

multi-output Flyback SMPS, I suppose SEPIC is possible but I'm not sure about the feasibility of some of the components in it, specifically the high frequency capacitor in it.

There are some car ATX-compliant SM power supplies that you can probably directly use that have good efficiency.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with this site, it just so happened to be the first one I saw on google:

https://www.mini-box.com/M1-ATX-90w-Intelligent-Automotive-DC-DC-Power-Supply?category=13

I was looking to make one not purchase one, but that isthekind of thing I was looking for, bit smaller however.

Sepic is mearly another derivative of a basic SMPS design. Make is not going to be nearly as useful as finding a good core chip and designing around it.

I am happt to use a good core chip if I knew which that was and build around it as you say.

I found this while looking about the net

**broken link removed**

I was thinking I could chop out the -12v section as it is not required, It would be nice to increase output current for added overhead. Ignore the 5v section as well, it is not required as I was looking at the MAX649 for that, I need about 200mA min but would like overhead again.

dannix said:
I am happt to use a good core chip if I knew which that was and build around it as you say.

I found this while looking about the net

**broken link removed**

I was thinking I could chop out the -12v section as it is not required, It would be nice to increase output current for added overhead. Ignore the 5v section as well, it is not required as I was looking at the MAX649 for that, I need about 200mA min but would like overhead again.

What's wrong with a buck-boost topology? These can be very efficient too. Find a controller that supports high efficiency at your load levels.

what topology was I looking at? I have never looked at SMPS before so im very new to it. What is buck-boost?

dannix, try google and wikipedia, they're full of information about the buck-boost topology

From wiki the buck-boost is a step-up and step-down converter. Is that not the posted schematic above? it accepts a wide supply voltage. and is intended for a computer so I'm guessing its stable enough to use without having to look into harmonics and ripple and all that stuff I dont understand

I dont really know what im looking for as a controller IC, I always used 7805 etc This is what im asking for advice on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back