Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensors on website. Basic stamp and serial cable/server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaw174

hey... anyone know about conecting a basic stamp or similar devices to allow inputs to show their states on a website, and maby the ability to change states of outputs.. basic stamp and a server. ? i have various plans, like unsing for detecting doors open or closed, remotely interupting the power of a light or computer, checking if their is mail in the mailbox or not, ect, using switches, relays, photo sensors/diodes, and various other sensors. any ideas?

For this type of project I would go with a PIC
and not the expensive and slow stamp.

You should get into the PIC microcontroller
it is alot cheaper and faster and has more memory.

If you want any books I can give you some recommendations.

Jaw174 said:
hey... anyone know about conecting a basic stamp or similar devices to allow inputs to show their states on a website, and maby the ability to change states of outputs.. basic stamp and a server. ? i have various plans, like unsing for detecting doors open or closed, remotely interupting the power of a light or computer, checking if their is mail in the mailbox or not, ect, using switches, relays, photo sensors/diodes, and various other sensors. any ideas?

If you search the net, and in particular look on the PICList, there are a couple of projects about for running web servers on a PIC.

As already suggested, the STAMP is probably too limited.

It's not too limited for what it sounds like he wants, which is not to use the STAMP as a server, but simply to interface to a PC which is the server.

As long as you can write the software to interface to your web server, it would be pretty simple to setup a microcontroller with a serial interface just relaying sensor data.

DirtyLude said:
It's not too limited for what it sounds like he wants, which is not to use the STAMP as a server, but simply to interface to a PC which is the server.

He doesn't suggest that he's wanting to do that?, and if you're running a PC, why not just connect the sensors to the PC?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back