Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sensor based traffic light system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jikes64

Please need help on the circuit for a sensor based traffic light controller for a crossroad!
Im using Atmel ATMega 32 with the ATSTK500 development board.
Im really having problems coming up with the circuit to serve this purpose as it will have sensors and pedestrian walk utilizing the pushbuttons on the development board!
Its really driving me nuts as Im running out of time.
Will really appreciate it if anyone can help me out.
Thanks!

How much? Dont mind paying if you're sure u can design something good that works n wil serve the purpose!

Re:

kjennejohn said:
We need more info. Can you provide a circuit description or (better yet) a schematic? How far have you gotten? Is the light sequencing throwing you, or the timing, or what? Please be explicit.

'Luck!
kenjj

THanks for the prompt reply! Its for my final year school project and is due in about 2 months! Im virtually just beginning so I cant say I have much on ground yet! I took permission from Prof. Bruce Land of Cornell University's School of Engineering in NY to redo a past project only Ive gotta include it a one of my references.

The site for the project is www.instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2003/rs234sy228/476/report.html

I will be highly appreciative if you can look it up for me.
The site has basically all I need only its not as comprehensive as I would have desired. The schematics are there but aren't what Im looking for plus Im not sure if im right but some resistors need to be placed inseries with each LED which is not the case. Im really getting confused here as without the complete and correct circuit diagram, I cannot start construction! I already have the development board, microcontroller and sensors now but may use C++ instead of C as thats what im learnin now.
Please I really need you to enlighten me on how to go about it and also what It will take for you to put me through.
Thanks a mil.
Jikes

jikes64 said:
THanks for the prompt reply! Its for my final year school project and is due in about 2 months! Im virtually just beginning so I cant say I have much on ground yet! I took permission from Prof. Bruce Land of Cornell University's School of Engineering in NY to redo a past project only Ive gotta include it a one of my references.

The site for the project is www.instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2003/rs234sy228/476/report.html

I will be highly appreciative if you can look it up for me.
The site has basically all I need only its not as comprehensive as I would have desired. The schematics are there but aren't what Im looking for plus Im not sure if im right but some resistors need to be placed inseries with each LED which is not the case. Im really getting confused here as without the complete and correct circuit diagram, I cannot start construction! I already have the development board, microcontroller and sensors now but may use C++ instead of C as thats what im learnin now.
Please I really need you to enlighten me on how to go about it and also what It will take for you to put me through.
Thanks a mil.
Jikes
Jeez, dude, you're link is not working! Not from here, anyway. We're batting zero. If this is your level of competence, MacDonald's is your only likely employer. Enter the link again and check it before posting.

Try again. Harder.
kenjj

kjennejohn said:
Jeez, dude, you're link is not working! Not from here, anyway. We're batting zero. If this is your level of competence, MacDonald's is your only likely employer. Enter the link again and check it before posting.

Try again. Harder.
kenjj

Nah mate I heard Mac Dolanlds was uping the bar .. lmao ... better try burger king !

jikes64 said:
How much? Dont mind paying if you're sure u can design something good that works n wil serve the purpose!
He's got management written all over him.

Seriously all you had to do is make an effort, all you really stated was you have an Atmel chip a programmer and some sort of development board. Doing a crosswalk is a basic state machine and a simple venture outside to an actual crosswalk should provide you with plenty of ideas.

If it makes you feel better you're way ahead of another fellow here who's trying to build a crane. And he's in final year University!

Last edited:
Well with any project that interfaces with humans you first order of business is to make it fail safe... that is design it so when it encounters the world's dumbest pedistran it will recover in a safe maner ...(Design elevators and you will understand)

The key to this project is therefore safety... You can not just rely on people's good judgement to stay out of harms way in fact you have to begin to think in the other realm that they want to harm themselves (dont beleive me we all have crossed a red signal !!!)

So first step is to make the electronics fail safe ie no "two" green lights on causing a crash, also fautly lights need to addressed, back up power (when car takes out one pole the other should still operate (if mandated by local laws) also the displaced pole the power should be removed (if not already done so by car)

So the basics :-
1.Backup power
2.Radio/modem to traffic control
3.Red light camera detection (inputs to facilatate it)
4.Redundant saftey ciruits
5.Faulty operation mode(ie flashing amber/orange lights are used in Australia to indicate to the public the system is in fault and by law you then can procedd through the intersection by obeying normal traffic rules)
6.Idiot proof things like sensors for cars(ie car breaks down over sensor) also the push buttons if some how they stick it should be detected and reported back
7.Have plenty of time to research ppl behaviours .... Good luck you going to need it ...

kjennejohn said:

Try again. Harder.
kenjj

Really sorry bout the link thingy!
The link I posted is correct but dunno y it aint workin!
Was wonderin if you could copy n paste it in ur browser?
If that stil dont work, maybe you should google it using the keywords
"Variable Traffic light" and that should most likely be the first thing you see with the course code ECE 476.
Thanks for understanding and for the help.
Appreciate it.

blueroomelectronics said:
He's got management written all over him.

Seriously all you had to do is make an effort, all you really stated was you have an Atmel chip a programmer and some sort of development board. Doing a crosswalk is a basic state machine and a simple venture outside to an actual crosswalk should provide you with plenty of ideas.

If it makes you feel better you're way ahead of another fellow here who's trying to build a crane. And he's in final year University!

Yeah I understand. Thanks for the post. Appreciate it.
Jikes

Thanks

seveprim said:
Well with any project that interfaces with humans you first order of business is to make it fail safe... that is design it so when it encounters the world's dumbest pedistran it will recover in a safe maner ...(Design elevators and you will understand)

The key to this project is therefore safety... You can not just rely on people's good judgement to stay out of harms way in fact you have to begin to think in the other realm that they want to harm themselves (dont beleive me we all have crossed a red signal !!!)

So first step is to make the electronics fail safe ie no "two" green lights on causing a crash, also fautly lights need to addressed, back up power (when car takes out one pole the other should still operate (if mandated by local laws) also the displaced pole the power should be removed (if not already done so by car)

So the basics :-
1.Backup power
2.Radio/modem to traffic control
3.Red light camera detection (inputs to facilatate it)
4.Redundant saftey ciruits
5.Faulty operation mode(ie flashing amber/orange lights are used in Australia to indicate to the public the system is in fault and by law you then can procedd through the intersection by obeying normal traffic rules)
6.Idiot proof things like sensors for cars(ie car breaks down over sensor) also the push buttons if some how they stick it should be detected and reported back
7.Have plenty of time to research ppl behaviours .... Good luck you going to need it ...

Thanks for ur post! Im trying to avoid using the decade counter and 555 timer as its almost commonplace over here for the traffic light project. Use of microcontrollers is new at my dept sadly! so even my supervisor is not totally of much help thats Y im havin difficulties! Im virtually on my own.
If im not able to cross over this hurdle, im gonna have to modify the normal circuit with the timers to somehow incorporate something new.
Thanks again. I really appreciate.

jikes64 said:
Thanks for ur post! Im trying to avoid using the decade counter and 555 timer as its almost commonplace over here for the traffic light project. Use of microcontrollers is new at my dept sadly! so even my supervisor is not totally of much help thats Y im havin difficulties! Im virtually on my own.
If im not able to cross over this hurdle, im gonna have to modify the normal circuit with the timers to somehow incorporate something new.
Thanks again. I really appreciate.

Dude, you posted a truncated (the "..." bit) URL and pasting it into the address box would have shown it wasn't going to work. Here's the complete site address, if anyone cares:
https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2003/rs234sy228/476/report.html

You couldn't be bothered to check this yourself and correct it so you foisted it off on us to figure out. I'd like advise and help you but you are obviously clueless and lazy and helping you would eventually end up being a total pain.

The bottom of these threads usually contain four former thread links that relate somehow to the present topic. I've seen four relevant threads at the bottom containing "traffic light" in their titles. I highly recommend you check these out and see how these other school projects ended. You might find exactly what you need.

'Luck on your project!
kenjj

Wow what a mess of wires. I see a CPU board of some sort, a few breadboards all this for a 4 way intersection with 4 hall effect sensors.

You'll need more than two months just to untangle the wires.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back