Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sense resistor coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

gehan_s

hey all,

i have a 0R5 sense resistor in the neutral side of the AC mains. i need to isolate this input and feed it to a PIC microcontroller. how do i do this???? (there is about a maximum of 4A rms curent flowing through it)

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A small transformer would do the trick, in parallel with the resistor. It would skew the accuracy of your circuit though so you'd have to do some calibration. Make sure the transformer is safe for mains voltage and has a reasonably high input impedance.

I was going to suggest using an opto-isolator, but I don't know anything about those. Probably a better solution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back