Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending data over a Laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple1

First of all, this is not a project for class. I currently have access to a hybrids design clean-room and want to use this opportunity to work on some personal projects.

So I'm trying to build a circuit where i can send data from my laptop through a laser to another laptop. Transmitter ---> Laser ---> Receiver.

I'm having trouble coming up with a good transceiver circuit that would take the data from the computers serial port and convert it so it can be sent over a laser beam. Should I consider programming a micro controller or is there another way.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions please go ahead and throw it out there. I will keep posting as this project progresses.

Why would you need a clean room for that? Send the serial over the laser line directly modulated, on/off

There is an article in the current Nuts & Volts about it...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You could adapt **broken link removed**. Or, if you want to build it from scratch, I would look into how IR remote controls work and use a Rx module from one of those and an IR laser modulated to work with the Rx module. It depends on how much throughput you want. What is wrong with an AdHoc network using the wireless cards on the laptops?

Last edited:
CDS photo cells work relatively well, or photodiodes.

Depends on what kind of bandwidth you need birdman, a CDS photocell should handle phone quality or better audio, or low speed serial data. A photodiode should be significantly better though all in all.

Last edited:
I've worked with photocells before when dealing with audio. Basically: speak into a mic, the audio is transferred over a laser to a photocell and picked up by a speaker. But what i want to do now is send a file (word document, folder, maybe a who movie/video file) from my computer, through a laser to another circuit that is hooked up to a different computer.

There is an article in the current Nuts & Volts about it...

What was the month or issue# please?

Thx for all the feedback so far.

Simply connect the TX pin of an RS232 port to your laser modulator, and connect the receiving demodulator to the RX pin of the remote machine. Send 2400 baud serial data to confirm it's working and raise the baud rate till it stops working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back