Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

semiconductor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronist

I do not understand the phenomenon of reverse bias of a diode which causes a barrier at the junction. Theory states that p type ions are accumulated at the n layer side and n type ions are accumulated at the p layer side under reverse bias. My question is how can it be possible. Wont the electrons in the n layer be attracted to the p ions and try to nutralize them. The same happening on the p layer side. Am i missing out something?

when you reverse bias a PN junction the negative terminal of the battery is connected to the P material and the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the N material. the polarity of the bias voltage in this case reinforces the internal barrier field at the junction. the diffusion current is inhibited and the depletion region widens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back