Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Security lights controlled by alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.

J de Beer

Good day
I am a pensioner in South Africa with a little knowledge of electronics. I please need some help with the following: I have built a circuit that controls my security lights via the security system is and it is 100% functional for a long time.
I have only one problem and I hope someone can assist me. When the power is turned on, the "Kingdom Electronics 12v Versatile Timer" reseives a "jolt/surge?" Of power and the relay closes for a second and then opens to the normal position. I have removed the trigger wire and tested it with the same result. What can be done to prevent the relay of the timer to unnecessary activate for a split second? The system works 100% in all other respects.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Hi and welcome.
Sounds like the circuit uses a 555, to be honest I think you'd be better looking for another timer that doesnt have the same parasitic.

Can you post a schematic of the timer?

The timer might be here: **broken link removed**

There are three things you can do:

1. re-seat the jumpers
2. Your power supply filter caps might be bad (too much ripple). You can try a 9V battery.
3. What is the chip # of the IC. If the reset circuit is a simple RC network it could be bad.

The timer module uses a PIC 12F629 as the timing engine. As such, a brief relay pulse is a surprise and a sign of bad design.

Please post a drawing showing how the timer is connected to your system. Show every wire going to any connector position.

ak
upload_2018-2-15_14-6-24.gif

Good day
Thank you very much to everybody who tried to help. The timer is exactly the one that is shown. I will check everything and try to produce a drawing which I will post as soon as possible.
Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back