Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Securely delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

If u defrag ur computer after deleting a file that u dont want dug up, will it be securely erased? I have some rather nosy friends . . .

zachtheterrible said:
If u defrag ur computer after deleting a file that u dont want dug up, will it be securely erased? I have some rather nosy friends . . .

It's not guaranteed to be, but might well be! - Norton Utilities includes a utility which overwrites the actual sectors to more securely erase it, a normal delete just clears the FAT for the sector. From what I remember about Norton, you can set it for various degrees of wiping, where it does multiple writes with different patterns.

also, there are quite a few programs (free downloads) that will write goobledegook onto the 'blank' sections of your harddrive, overwritting any deleted data.

can't think of any off hand, when i do i'll post back.

The thing is (stupidly enough) I already deleted it, so thats y i need 2 create jibberish all over my drive. can that program do that? cuz i couldnt find anything about that

are you really that concerned?
What could you possibly have on your HD to warrent a data shread (get a linux liveCD and use a program called "shread")

Even secure deleteion does noy mean the data cannot be recovered - there are ways. All data (and with enough time) that has ever been stored on a HD can be recovered. The only secure way is to microwave your HD

ive got some emails that were saved on disk that were about some other pepl . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back