Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

second attempt triac

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzero349

Ok... I found this circuit that controls the phase of an ac light or dimmer using an opto-isolator.... I attached it... but I don't know if it's viewable... here's the link: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/07/AN-3006-1.pdf (figure 3)

I just had a few questions I was hoping somebody could answer...

1. Does VR1 control the speed of the motor? If not, what does?

2. Ok... is there any way to send a control signal into this thing as well? What I mean is this circuit can control the speed of the motor, but can I have my microcontroller decide whether or not the motor is on or off? Does this make sense? I want to make my microcontroller decide whether the motor is on or off, and I want the VR1 to decide the speed of the motor if it's on...

any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• phasecontrol_123.jpg
    phasecontrol_123.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 583
Seems to me that you could either control pin 4 of the 555 or put a transistor in series with the emitter of Q1 and control that transistor.

Ron

excellent... thanks for the idea... I think I'll try and do the 555 reset thing...While we're on the subject of Q1, I can't seem to find that part or datasheet anywhere... do you have any ideas of what I could substitute it with?

I couldn't find MPSA40 data either, but I looked at the specs for the H11L1, which drives Q1. You can use almost anything that qualifies as an NPN. I would use a 2N3904.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back