Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

conchord

Sup peeps,
I'm having trouble finding a formula for a question.

I need to find the power delivered to the load if phase control is used when the trigger angle is 60 degrees

Sup peeps,
I'm having trouble finding a formula for a question.

I need to find the power delivered to the load if phase control is used when the trigger angle is 60 degrees

Well considering that a single SCR can only work on 180 degrees of a sinewave (triacs can work on full 360 degrees) I would say (180-60) / 360 = 33.33% power delivered.

Lefty

Last edited:
Hi Conchord,

First you calculate the power from 0 to pi, that's 50 %.
Then you calculate the power from 0 to pi/3 and subtract
this value from the previous one. You will find 46,875 %.
But the SCR only conducts from 0 to pi therefore the
power supplied to the load is 46,875 %.

on1aag.

Since power is function of the voltage squared, the power delivered to the load is not a linear function of phase angle. (See **broken link removed** for a simulated example at selected phase angles.)

To determine the power requires the calculation of the rms value of the truncated sine wave, which is not a simple function.

It also depends upon whether the load is constant resistive or incandescent lamp whose resistance varies with brightness..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back