Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scr application

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetwo

I was reading a book on scr, one application of scr i dont know about is: how to use scr as a battery charger. Can any body pls help me with the circuit diagram or an explanation on how it works? I still need to know how to apply scr for a.c friquency controller. Thanks

An SCR is typically use to turn on an AC waveform. It then automatically turns off when the waveform goes to zero. It can be used with a phase controlled gate signal to turn on at a particular point on each cycle to control the output voltage, which is how an SCR battery charger operates.

Using an SCR as an a.c. frequency controller requires a complex circuit (Google "cycloconverters").

Last edited:
It's really too much of a vague question.

An SCR is just a switch that remains on once it's been triggered. A battery charger normally has a linear amplifier which either controls the voltage or current. I wouldn't expect to see an SCR used in a battery charger and certainly wouldn't used one if I were designing it but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cheap Chinese charger which uses one.

Many yeas ago I built a lead acid battery charger who's pass-element was an SCR. It was straight out of an early GE SCR Data Manual. Used it for many years. If I could find the manual I'd post it, but I think its long gone. :(

Ken

Added: I recalled that this came up once before on another Forum and another poster came through with it : https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=103339&postcount=10

Last edited:
An SCR is just a switch that remains on once it's been triggered. A battery charger normally has a linear amplifier which either controls the voltage or current. I wouldn't expect to see an SCR used in a battery charger and certainly wouldn't used one if I were designing it but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cheap Chinese charger which uses one.
It may not be appropriate for a small NiMH or Li ion battery charger but it makes a simple, high efficiency charger for automobile lead-acid batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back