Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scope probes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

sorry if i am about to sound stupid but..............

am i right in thinking that you can fit any probe to a scope as long as it is the same bandwidth??

the reason i ask is because in order to learn as much as i can i was fortunate enough to come accross a scope that i could afford, however i need some probes for it and i cant seem to find any specificaly for that scope,
the scope in question is a wayne kerr 100 Mhz Dual Channel DTV 100. aslo i would very much appreciate any thoughts on what you think of this model or brand of scope.
sorry in advance to be a pain

It doesn't even have to be the same bandwidth. Just keep in mind what the bandwidth bottleneck actually is.

lol i cant belive i have spent so much time trying to track down the right probes when there was no need :D any thoughts or recomendations on what probes to get??.

Get something like this. I have two of them, and they actually have a bandwidth more like 200 MHz, rather than just 100 MHz.

**broken link removed**

thank you i will give them a try :D, anyone have any thoughts on the make and model of scope and if it would make a good general purpose scope

am i right in thinking that you can fit any probe to a scope as long as it is the same bandwidth??
As long as the input capacitance and input impedance are compatible with the probe. ie: A x10 probe designed for a scope with 1MΩ input impedance would turn into a x100 probe on a scope with 100KΩ input impedance assuming the frequency compensation adjustment was compatible.

Those Tek probes on Ebay The Electrician suggested are nice since they have a switch to go between 1:1 and 10:1 modes. That way you can use a 10:1 mode when you need a high input impedance or a 1:1 mode when you want maximum sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back