Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

schottky diodes/battery back-up increasing voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusthevirus

schottky diodes/battery back-up increasing voltage WHY?

I have two schottky diodes. One coming from the 3.3V power supply. The other coming from the 3.3V battery backup. When I measure the output voltage of the circuit, I expected the voltage to be 3V, but instead it is 4V. What happened? How do I fix it? The diodes I am using are 1N5817. The are wired similar to the circuit below, except I am not using an LM7833.

Attachments

• 3V_Bat_Backup.GIF
    3V_Bat_Backup.GIF
    5.9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
You should keep those diodes carefully protected. They are the only ones I have ever heard of that generate voltage.

I thought it was wierd so I double checked my circuit and found the problem. To detect the need to switch over to battery and adjust my program, I am monitoring the original voltage which is running at 5V. The pins on the PIC24F are supposed to be able to handle 5.5v, but they are backfeeding into the pic. I am going to adjust and measure the 3.3v voltage instead. That should clear up my problem depending on how much the diodes leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back