Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Backup Select

Suraj143

I have made a wireless security alarm. It uses PIC microcontroller & RF433 module to receive signals from remotes. Also it has SIM800L GSM module. The entire circuit is powered from 5V supply. But it has a siren out that is 12V.So I power it from a 12V DC wallwart.

I'm struggling to select a battery backup for this design. Preferably Li-ION will be best. Can someone help me to select a module to this? Most china modules I see 5V not 12V ones :(

Thanks

Use a garden tractor 12V battery or 2, 6V rechargeable lantern batteries. Mount a 12V solar panel somewhere on your panel.....to collect indoor ambient light. I have many solar powered products in my home that only receive ambient indoor light. Clocks, nite lights and environment indicators.....temp, pressure, humidity. I have several solar powered atomic clocks and nite lights, have worked for years on ambient light. Those garden stick in solar lights, work just fine inside.

This is a domestic type modern panel.:(
What does that mean? Please post a photo so we know what kind of shape and volume we have to work with.

Usually, a traditional, wired, domestic security system controller is in a metal box in a basement.

What is the total current load on the backup system, and how long do you anticipate it might have to run things. For example, the battery backup for my security system is rated to run the panel, sensors, and alarms for two weeks. The battery is a mid-sized 12 V SLA.

ak

As AK says, any decent security system has the main unit hidden away and the visible control panels are just remotes.

Many system can have multiple control panels, eg. one near each door. Mine will take up to 16, though I only have three on it.

The sounder wiring (and any other sensor connections) are also monitored and the sounder unit contains its own battery, so any tampering causes the sounder to be triggered - even if its cable is cut.

The manual for common commercial sounder:

A radio-linked system also needs failsafe programming, eg. monitoring sensor battery voltages and alerting the user long before a battery fails, and triggering an alarm if a sensor does not keep it's set reporting schedule (as in, it's been disabled or damaged).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back