Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

School project help.. Lm3914 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibre flyers

Hello we are currently competing in an electric car project. We need a way of showing the amps being used by the motor so that the driver knows if he/she is the right gear.

We have found a circuit that uses a LM3914 chip we have connected this up and it is working as a voltmeter with the max volt showing is 8v.. The car is run off two 12v car batteries.

Would be grateful is anyone could advise us or send me a circuit diagram.

Thanks

You need an "ammeter" circuit. This is usually done by placing a calibrated very-low-Ohm resistor in series with one of the motor leads("shunt"); either "high side", or "low side"(ground side). The differential voltage across the shunt is amplified, and made "ground referenced", so it can be presented to an A/D converter or your LM3914. A typical shunt maybe rated 1mV/A, i.e. 1mΩ, so at 50A of motor current, the voltage drop across the shunt would be 50mV.

Look up the following terms: "Current shunt", "Differential amplifier", "Instrumentation amplifier", "High-side current monitor", "Low-side current monitor". The last two of these are available as IC chips. Look up a data sheet for my favorite, a ZXCT1009

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back