Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scare Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
This project is a scare prank box. I have a long rectangle box with a wire-cage door at the front. Inside is a homemade scary as crap stuffed animal attached to a dowel. There are extension springs pulling on the cage door so when a switch (problem) is activated, the cage door gets pulled inside, and the animal comes shooting out. I just got my remote control (4 channel wireless 12-volt DC remote control) in the mail, and the only thing left is to figure out how to set off a trigger/switch to activate the spring mechanisms. I figured there are 2 or 3 ways to do this....if you have another, please let me know.
The first idea is to have a 12-volt motor make one cycle which turns a dowel that sets off the mechanism. The problem there is I would have to find some type of timer/relay that I could set so the motor only turns so far. I would also like the DC motor to operate in reverse so the animal can be pulled back in.
Another idea is to get some type of switch that extends and retracts with the dowel attached to it. Another idea might be some type of electromagnetic switch (I have about 400 neodymium magnets) that extends and retracts when the remote signals open/closed circuit. That's pretty much where I am right now. The stuffed animal is so creepy. I used the same material from my homemade ghillie suit, and used fire-engine red eyes (which will have LED lights shining on them). The idea is to trick someone into thinking it's a ferrit or something, when they get close to the box, press the button on the remote, and this thing comes flying out. It'll be awesome. What can I do about the switch? thanks.....David

this project is so easy!
think of a crankshaft that has two throws that are 180 degrees from each other. one has the cage door attached and the other has the stuffed creature.
using a geared motor that has a final output of say 10-20 rpm (just guessing) then when the door is pulled in the creature comes out. crank keeps turning and creature goes in and door closes.
attach some springs to speed up the creature coming out.

I think making a solenoid is the answer....but! I tried making a homemade solenoid. It's not working. I'm using 12V battery (2x 6V), a plastic pen tube with a nail for the core, and thick steel wire tightly wrapped around the pen tube. I think perhaps the wire is too thick. ??? ..and should i try and find a metal core instead of plastic?

The wire needs to be insulated otherwise it won't work.

Use thin enamelled wire and wind as many turns as you can.

Thanks! but why does the wire have to be insulated. I thought non-insulated wire would help produce more of a 'magnetic field'?? will the plastic tube work or should i use something else? thank you.

Thanks! but why does the wire have to be insulated. I thought non-insulated wire would help produce more of a 'magnetic field'?? will the plastic tube work or should i use something else? thank you.

The wire should be insulated so as to make the current go through the wires in the same way as water would flow in the solenoid made of water pipe! If non insulated wires are used its just like using a conductive cylinder; the current flows through the whole body of the wire! Hope you understand that.

I have made a solenoid for a electric door lock releaser project and it has worked fine and strong. It consumes about 4.5 Amp from a 12v battery. Basically, if you are using a fixed voltage for the solenoid, then this is the general idea of designing a solenoid
1. Since you want maximum strength you have to produce maximum field (B)
2. B = unI
So, increase I by decreasing the resistance by increasing the thickness of wire. But since you can't increase I too much (battery can't provide it, and its expensive), now start increasing n by winding more turns of the wire.
So, the general rule is wind as much wire as you can !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back