Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Satelite dish solar collector

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might make the news like the guys with the laser pointers awhile back. So you are right..

I have a PVC frame on mine and it will do zinc, lead in seconds.. Mark aluminum after time.. Goal was to melt Aluminum.. So I will probably be ebaying that soon :)

You might make the news like the guys with the laser pointers awhile back.

I didn't hear a bout this. Care to share? :)

The whole point of a parabolic dish is to focus the energy at the focal point. It WILL NOT affect the pilots unless the SOURCE of the light is at the focal point, and you point the dish at the plane (Just like a spotlight). I think you should do a lot more research before you play with that thing anymore. You are under estimating the power of a 10 ft dish by a lot. In the current condition (mesh) it will not achieve much. However, If you cover the inside of the dish with one (or more) of those mylar solar blankets you will have an extremly powerful solar collector. Don't even think about doing this out in the yard, even on an overcast day. In a garage would be best. Please be careful.

I am going to take this time to give off one VERY good reason to make this thing; food. Just think; You get hungry, but all your good food is in the freezer. So, instead of waiting 3 hours for it to unthaw, just stick it between the dish, and the collector! Sure, i don't think it would taste the best, but hey, it sure beats cold cereal!

actually, if you can generate that much heat, why not a steam turbine driving a generator? a couple of KW would probably put a good sized dent in your utility bill. the utilities have to buy your excess power. I don't know if a stirling engine would work with that but it's a possibility as well. more mundane, how about heat/preheat for your hot water tank.

guy was shooting a laser in the cockpit of planes at the airport. Tring to blind the pilots.

What a dumb ass. How did he get caught? Sniper rifle? :)

They thought it was a sniper at first. Do not think the caught them, and they just stopped. Of course they started talking terrorists, etc.

So HarveyH might get a visit :D

So HarveyH might get a visit

He He, and if his collector works, then he will have a nice pot of coffee ready for the FBI! :) :cool:

I wound up with a large fresnel lens. But other than destruction, have not found a safe use for it. Going on Ebay soon. My kids love it. Concrete will explode with it.

Thought about heating a sterling (sp) engine (original thought), but this thing would melt it. It would not melt aluminum. But afraid to point it at the copper pipes on the water tank.

Off to look up steam turbine engine now I guess.

We have some fresnel lenses at work (the ones we play with are about 24" by 36"), we burn holes through steel 5 gallon buckets with it. And like mramos1 said, concrete just pops apart. As you bring it into focus on something combustable, it just bursts into flames. This doesn't even touch the power of a 10 ft. dish. Also with a clear piece of plexiglass you can focus through it onto something behind it, however it does get warm as the plexiglass will absorb a little of the light. On the other hand if the plexiglass has any tint to it, or any coating, it will burst into flames.

Another word of caution, if you decide to play with lenses of any apreciable power in this fashion, then you should be wearing 100% uv protective eyewear. The reflected light will have you seeing spots for quite a while at the very least. I'm quite a bit further from the equator than Florida, so I imagine the hazards are at least a little bit greater.

Anyways sorry about the ranting, I promise I will quit now.:D
I wish I had a 10 ft. parabolic dish to play with...lucky...lol

I got both of mine for free. They aren't used that much any more. If you see one in a neighbor's or relative's yard, just ask. Also, if you drive/walk by one that looks a little overgrown with vegetation or poorly maintained, it probably hasn't been used in years, ask the owners. The 10 foot dish with the mounts removed is around 100lbs (probably less). I can pick it up and move it, a little ackward, so two people would have no problem. Most people think about alternative uses, like the roof for a small shed, but never get around to it. There are a lot of people who would loved to get the eye-sore off the property.

My neightbor has one, but I do not want it. I just cut up my 12 footer last year :)

I still have the mounting pole. Serious iron pole if anyone wants it.

So then are you going for a death ray? because myth busters and MIT found it to be impractical. I would suggest a napalm substitute or a piece of experimental rocket fuel. The current fuels are pink and look like rubber erasers and have the power to burn a hole through concrete. And if your just looking for temperatures, depleated plutonium.

Aphromann said:
So then are you going for a death ray? because myth busters and MIT found it to be impractical. I would suggest a napalm substitute or a piece of experimental rocket fuel. The current fuels are pink and look like rubber erasers and have the power to burn a hole through concrete. And if your just looking for temperatures, depleated plutonium.

My lens will do that or a microwave heated rod.. We all love the show. But if I could get in the focal length of my lens. The ship would sink. No doubt. And it would not take long.

No reason to bring in the chemicals. We all take in enough of that stuff..

mramos1 said:
Maybe they are thinking microwaves? I have stood in front of mine many times.

I'd wager the leakage from a microwave oven is higher than the levels present at the collection point of a satillite dish.

I just saw it somewere on the net. Some college has a microwave drill that will do glass and concrete.. That I would throw that in the mix.

Caramel will eat through a steel ship after so many years. Put kerosean on the boat before hand, and then fill the cabin with liquid hydrogen, and there should be a magnificant explosion. Or build a catapult to through hot red coalsat the boat.

Im new to the board but heres my suggestion that i can almost guarantee will work

Buy a roll of mylar film great stuff its around 98% reflective, its lightweight so best to do it where there isnt too much wind. Use some adhesive spray on the mesh and then with a soft brush smooth down the mylar onto the adhesive covered mesh

Tada :) Once completed should have a hella parabolic reflector i'd suggest not putting the mylar on in sunlight or cover the work area with a tarp or something similar.

Wind? in Florida...? Considing the past two years, this year was a total shock. We didn't even get a real bad thunderstorm. Guess God is giving use a break after all we went through in 2004, or saving it up for next year...

I don't have a garage or shed (build one some day...), so doing this is just a real short term experiment (not a great motivator). I have the mylar (sort of bubble-wrap, packaging material for frozen food products from the warehouse I work in).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back