Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safe AC rating for reed relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I got some reed relays a while ago off eBay, 5v coil, spco contacts rated at 28VDC, 250mA 3W (Astralux 125C-2, made in the 80's, no longer in production).
The data sheet gives no information about AC contact voltage though. I'd like to get some idea of what AC voltage I can safely switch with these. Current will be negligible. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance :)

Just about all small relays list an AC voltage (and current) carrying capacity.

In as much as this one you note does not, it would be my guess that it isn't recommended for AC usage.

That said, the reed relays that do (now) list an AC capability usually show a sort of normal ratio, i.e., 12VDC at 1A or 120VAC at 100mA.

In your case, 120VAC at ≈60mA. Not much...

<EDIT> Just saw your location. With 220AC mains I wouldn't risk it (except maybe for flash and go bang entertainment...:p)

Last edited:
Thanks for that - I was leaning towards the same conclusion. I didn't hope to switch mains with them though!

3w is a big winding for a reed, thats more of a rating for an octal relay, you sure they arent 0.3w

3W is the contact rating, not the coil power! Although the coils are 80Ω - hungry beasts by today's standards, but they were very cheap. I'll find better replacements when I'm feeling wealthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back