Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sabertooth motors driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, to put it simply, or at least not directly.
The Sabretooth module has a maximum input voltage rating of 33.6V so you cannot use a 48V battery.

And note that a nominal 48V battery will have a rather higher voltage when fully charged - eg. if it's a 13 cell series it will be 54.6V at full charge - and a lower voltage when flat.

You could use a high current buck regulator unit between the battery and the motor controller, to reduce the voltage to around 30V.
That should really have a current rating higher than the combined stall current of the motors to prevent it shutting down.
20A 48 to 24V ones seem readily available but so far I've not found anything much larger than that..

Thanks rjenkinsgb for you answer ,

I'm going to use a buck converter to power the sabertooth but if I reduce the voltage to 30V,
will it not be too high for the 24V motors?

There is no reason you cannot step down to 24V; that's probably an easier type to obtain.

The most suitable voltage depends on the characteristics of the motor controller module - some will work fine with a rather lower motor voltage than the supply, others need the motor and supply voltage to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back