Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Run a fan from 10-60 seconds when power is applied (noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TippyG

Hi.

I studied electronics 13 years ago and haven't done it since. I have a schematic below which I know is wrong I just don't know how to make it right. I am also hoping you fine peeps can tell me what each components value should be. This is a once off project and would take days to figure it out by myself.

The purpose is to run a fan from 10-60 seconds once power is applied then stop. I would also like to be able to vary the speed of the fan. The fan is a small 80mm computer case type fan. Not sure what the current draw is but can test if needed.

I know the problem with my schematic is the fan will be off until the RC turns on the base so I've actually created the opposite of what I need. I also am guessing VR1 would be better at the base of the transister?

**broken link removed**

I am a noob and this is my first post. Your help would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Swap C1 with VR2, this will give a turn-off delay. also, put the motor where VR1 is and dispose of VR1. You may wish to use a darlington transistor.

Thank you Dougy.

I read up on your comment and thats exactly what I need. Well done. :)

I have a revised schematic below. I dont see how the motor can be variably controlled though.

I have added the values in I believe are required for the components but I am not at all confident. The formula of t=RC seemed a little too easy. Never have the words "use it or lose it" been so true.

I have added R1 so there is a minumum of 10s and with VR1 at full resistance will give 60s. R2 is based on a 63% charge of the RC circuit and to supply 100mA at the base of the transistor. I read 63% was the value to use so I have. Let me know if it's wrong.

Thanks again for you help and a prompt reply.

**broken link removed**

Many HVAC units use a 4541 oscillator timer. It will do exactly what you need

Yeah, sorry, I missed the bit where you mentioned you wanted it variably controlled. Have a look at the attached cct. It's a variation on yours.

Attachments

• motorcont.gif
    motorcont.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 160
Thank's very much for your efforts Dougy. I'll be building this on the weekend and will let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back