Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladanow

This is a Card Reader Phoneix

will u tell me what could be the number of there IC

[/code]

Attachments

• 41212.jpg
    41212.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 866
what exactly are u asking for ?? if you want to know what is the ic, its a max232 as far as i know.

It is unlikely to be MAX232 as this IC needs four external electrolytic capacitors to work and the capacitors are not visible in the image. I would guess the IC is a microcontroller, based on the two crystals, 330 ohms resistors, and the two LEDs near it.

Are you trying to repair it? If you want to build it, you're in for a big surprise.

There are also two crystals on the board, one is 6.000MHz and the frequency of the other not readable from the image.

You can buy these crystals no problem, but the presence of crystals indicate hiding somewhere there is/are microcontroller(s) or custom made IC which you cannot obtain or obtainable but won't work without firmware code .

Thank u very much for your replay

look .. Ths circuit used to read smarcard of ateillites and Known as Phoenix Programer ..

Look .. after searching i guess is 74HC04

Look ..i measured it i found that Vcc and Gnd is same as its datasheet

but i need to ask .. Can this chip be an interface for serial port

also i found that pin 5 is inverted with 6

pin 8 is inverted with 9

pin 10 is inverted with 11

Thank u for u help

eblc1388 said:
It is unlikely to be MAX232 as this IC needs four external electrolytic capacitors to work and the capacitors are not visible in the image. I would guess the IC is a microcontroller, based on the two crystals, 330 ohms resistors, and the two LEDs near it.

Are you trying to repair it? If you want to build it, you're in for a big surprise.

There are also two crystals on the board, one is 6.000MHz and the frequency of the other not readable from the image.

You can buy these crystals no problem, but the presence of crystals indicate hiding somewhere there is/are microcontroller(s) or custom made IC which you cannot obtain or obtainable but won't work without firmware code .

u'r right ebl :|

where did this card reader thing come from? it looks like a prototype or hand made, deff not mass produced, who uses that many TH components

heh, i type phoenix smouse into google and I get lots of info for hacking satellite receivers ...

so, my guess is it's a pic micro, since smartcards are PIC based, this board is most likely just a 'smart' PIC programmer (ICSP) with a smartcard socket

there aren't too many current model 14 pin PIC's out there, and the pin-outs are pretty much the same across all of 'em, just different features and amounts of memory ... if I had to hazard another guess, I'd go with a 16F630

but whatever is on there is likely code protected, so its not like you'll be able to duplicate the firmware to a new chip or anything

hmm ... all those have the 232 level shifter and its giveaway charge pump capacitors

but the board in the orig. picture has no caps, not even 1uf ceramic which could have been hiding on the solder side!

maybe it's a MAX233, which is the max232 but with internal capacitors? ... no, the 233 is 20 pins

from what Bill posted, sure looks like I guessed wrong with my stab that it's a pic chip ;)

The PIC is probably hiding under the black plastic in the form of a black blob.
OP already told us the power pins of the visible 14-pin DIP is 7 and 14 so it is unlikely to be a PIC. It could well be a 74HC04 used as oscillator for the 3.579545 MHz crystal.

The extra resistor on the black plastic does not exist but was placed there using image editing software.

eblc1388 said:
The PIC is probably hiding under the black plastic in the form of a black blob.

It's only a single sided PCB, so there can't be a COB chip under the card reader.

OP already told us the power pins of the visible 14-pin DIP is 7 and 14 so it is unlikely to be a PIC.

As suggested it's probably just a TTL buffer, and it may well be designed to connect to a PARALLEL port and not a serial one? - a suitable lead will have been provided with it.

I got it. The PIC is under the black plastic but on the inserted card.

The components are supporting chips act as signal source or buffer. I still think it is a simple serial port interface using resistors and transistors.

eblc1388 said:
I got it. The PIC is under the black plastic but on the inserted card.

The components are supporting chips act as signal source or buffer. I still think it is a simple serial port interface using resistors and transistors.

Sorry, I didn't realise you didn't know that there is a PIC on the inserted card?, which is the complete reason for the programmer :lol:

Many of the cards also have an EEPROM on them as well, but there's no external access to it, you have to program the PIC to transfer data to the EEPROM.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the May 2006 issue of EPE has a card reader/writer as a project, it uses a MAX232 and TWO 7407's, and connects to the serial port.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Sorry, I didn't realise you didn't know that there is a PIC on the inserted card?, which is the complete reason for the programmer :lol:

My mistake, I thought it was a multi- memory card reader and not one which reads chip on credit card or charge card. :D

Thank u very much for this great discussion ..
it really helped me alot

i want only to say some point ...

there is no PIC under the black box ..it is very thin ..and i use it just insert a card in it

i thought it may be a max 232 ..but it is 14 pin not 16 ..and no capicotrs ,,,so i thought it may be 233 ..but it is 20 pin

Pin 7 is connected to ground all time
Pin 14 is connected to Vcc all time 5V ( most likly to be TTL )

i made some test ..by setting pin 1 to Vcc .. i found pin 2 is grounded ..also i set pin 1 to groung i found pin 2 is Vcc ( inverted pins)

same happen with pair ( 3 - 4 ) ( 5 - 6 ) ( 8 - 9 ) ( 10 - 11 ) ( 12 - 13 )

and i think it is most likly to be 74HC04 ... to be also good with high sped with 3.5 , 6 Hz crystals

I want u please to confirm about my conclusion if works or not

may u also think about what the transistor model be ..or npn ..or pnp

Thank u svery much

Hi
I have the same programmer
and Itried to make another with the two Ic(max232 &74 hcoo) with simi conductor in circuit with no. (bat41) but failed to found it
the programmer (phoenix&smouse) we write about it . i expect that the Ic is 74hc00 but the transistor is the important part that it the alternative part of the two parts( max232 & bat41) on other programmers
sorry for my week lang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back