RS 485 Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

premkumar9

Hi
For a project, I need to collect data from locations up to 500 to 800 meters away from my main equipment. It will be a two way communication. I plan to use RS485 communication - with RS485 tranciever ICs ( I use microconrtollers at both sides).

1) Is this a suitable method for my application?
2) Any extra precautions required to avoid noise problems?
3) can I use baud rate of 9600 for such distances?
4) Is there any better method?

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Extra comment to make up a minimum character count.

JimB

Thank you.
Regarding termination resistance - The IC specs I used give "Receiver Input Impedance . . . 12 kW Min". That means I have to connect an extra resistance equal to the characteristic impedence of the transmission cable. Is it right?
Is it required at both ends?
The value you mentioned (150 ohm) is standard for all twisted pair cable used for this purpose OR will vary for different twisted pair cables?
What does it mean?

Thank you.
Regarding termination resistance - The IC specs I used give "Receiver Input Impedance . . . 12 kW Min".
The receiver input impedance is high so that many devices may be multi-dropped off the comms line without creating impedance discontinuities.

That means I have to connect an extra resistance equal to the characteristic impedence of the transmission cable. Is it right?
Is it required at both ends?
Yes and Yes.

The value you mentioned (150 ohm) is standard for all twisted pair cable used for this purpose OR will vary for different twisted pair cables?
The characteristic impedance of a twisted pair cable depends on the wire diameter, the spacing between the wires and the dielectric constant of the insulation.
But as a general rule the impedance will be in the range 75 to 150 ohm.
A quick look at the MAX485 datasheet shows examples with 120ohm terminating resistors at both ends of the line.

What does it mean?

Because I had made a reply by by effectively editing a copy of your post, the forum software thought that I had not written anything and so it objected when I clicked on Submit Reply.
So the extra comment was added to make up the minumim character count. (Did I just say that?)

JimB

Thank you for your clear answers on each point.
Have you used RS485 communication for distances above 500 meters?

I am only doing the lab testing right now. I may have to use it later for few hundred meters length in an environment where there would be lot of electrical noise. I think, in case there is any issues due to noise pick ups in spite of precautions like using twisted pair cable with shielding etc, I can use some repeaters . What is your opinion?

What is the environment, what are the sources of electrical noise?

A repeater sounds like overkill and I am not sure how you would implement it on a two wire bi-directional line.

JimB

Maximum Distance 1200 metres (4000 feet)

**broken link removed**

And the rest of the story https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-485.html

Last edited:
Water pumps,
Just keep the comms cable away from the power cables as much as possible.

Railway engines,
Again, keep the comms cable away from the power cables as much as possible.

No EMC problems with this railway engine!
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust

Electric welding etc.
Depending on the environment, electric welding operations can move around, just do the best yoy can to keep the comms cables away from the welding areas.

JimB

Hi premKumar,

Its good to use RS485 network, because u can easily get a twisted pair from CAT-5E cablesused in networking]. The minimum requirement of RS485 network is the characteristics impedence of 100OHM. & if u r using only two processor in the network, no need of Termination register (120OHMS) to avoid data reflections. Also, no need of biasing with 620OHMS registers as u said that there would be no passive nodes.
Only use two RS-232 to RS485 Converter[converting RS232 logic to RS485 logic], if using PC DB9 port. Otherwise, use MAX485 chip to convert the TTL/CMOS serial logic to RS485 logic and transmit the serial data through one pair twisted cable.
Pappu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…