Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rpm test

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ok i was trying this to calculate RPM for this fan:

fan-jpg.29112

its the fan with a switch on the side and something to hit the switch on every full turn. Then i connected it to the logic analyzer on pic and got this:

rpma-png.29113

Now i measures about 19.8ms for each length which is 1 full turn. I then divided 1000mS / 19.8mS = 50.5050 turns in 1 second then times that by 60 for 1 minute: 50.5050 * 60 = 3030.30

so if im right this fan is only 3030 RPM right?

I could have 60 Seconds time 1000Ms = 60000mS / 19.8 = 3030.30

so am i right?

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 231
  • rpma.png
    rpma.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
My guess is that the fan, without the straw (?) turns faster. The straw, hitting the switch arm each rotation, will reduce the speed. If it's a standard induction/shaded pole motor it is probably a little less than 3600 RPM, free running. If it's a brushless DC motor, the free-running speed could be anything higher than your measured RPM. A photo interrupter would be a more accurate way to get you output pulses.

Ken

Last edited:
You maths is correct but your values from the diagram don't seem right. Why isn't your time 98.8-52.8 = 46mS? Also, you have measured from the end of one pulse to the beginning of the second. The correct time appears to be 48mS which gives a speed of 1300RPM.

Mike.

You still need to measure from the start of the pulses which would add about 1.5mS.

Mike.

I bought a infrared "point and shoot" tacho, was only about $30 USD. Its a very handy little gadget.

Ebay is full of them, probably cheaper than what I paid which was a while back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back