rotary encoder/pulse generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevez

I am in need of a way to convert the rotation of a shaft (manually rotated) into pulses.

The situation: I have a Parker stepper motor controller/driver/motor combination that I am using to help my brother develop some mechanisms. I noticed on one of his CNC tools that he can rapidly move an axis by rotating a large knob. I am guessing that this large knob is attached to an encoder of some type that send a pulse for each increment. The controller I have will accept pulse input (about 3.5 volts) to increment the motor so all I need to do is come up with the device to generate the pulses.

I can easily find the slotted opt0-interrupter components in Jameco and other catalogs - I just need what I imagine is the rest - I imagine a small slotted wheel - or plastic with dark/light sections to create the interruptions. No need for precision - the point is to generate what might be 20, 50 or more pulses per revolution so we can move the motor manually.

I have to admit that I am having a lot of fun with this.

What is this called and where can I find a source of reasonable low cost devices? It's probably right in front of me and so very simple.

Thanks.

I think you will find that the "big knob" is hooked to a potentiometer that controls the speed of a pulse generator. The faster the pulses the faster the travel.

You need to make a 555 astable pulse generator. Wire the output of it to your driver pulse input. Google " 555 astable " for circuits.

The knob on the machine I described is turned by hand but will rotate an infinite number of times in one direction. In this case the knob has a scale marked on it with each increment corresponding to some distance - possibly 0.001".

I did consider what you are suggesting though, a pulse generator that can run from slow to fast - and I may end up at that if I can't find what I need for a modest price. An alternative for me would be to purchase the opto-interrupter and make a shaft/wheel. I did find something close to what I've described at a robotics site. The problem was that particular product required interfacing with a micro-controller.

Thanks for the suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…