Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rolling up a Flat screen TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

memetic

Hi everyone!

I moved to Brazil and need to transport my belongings there from the USA. I have a 52" LCD flatscreen that is worthless to sell. I want to bring it with me to Brazil on my next trip. I cannot bring it on the plane (check it) unless it is in the original box, which I do not have. But, if I can roll it up, or compact it somehow, I can pack it with some other items.

I watched a lot of videos of tear-downs of flat-screen tv's. They all show that the screen pieces are very flexible. they seem to roll up. I do not need the plastic bezel. I just want the screen components, the lights and the control boards, and the aluminum frame -- just the basics to make it work.

Is it possible to roll up the screen components? If not, is there another way to transport this on a commercial airline flight compacted somehow?

Thanks!

You could send it via some freight service, but I doubt that would be cheaper than the TV. Also, I doubt you could roll up the glass inside the LCD panel into a rollwithout breaking it, even when rolling the long edge of a 52" tv.

The freight service prices are insane. Plus, I would have to pay taxes on it. It would be cheaper to buy a new tv in Brazil. I was hoping to find a way to salvage this tv somehow. I spent $1200 on it. I can only sell it for $200 now.

I've never worked ona flat screen that
The freight service prices are insane. Plus, I would have to pay taxes on it. It would be cheaper to buy a new tv in Brazil. I was hoping to find a way to salvage this tv somehow. I spent $1200 on it. I can only sell it for $200 now.

That's why I buy all of my major electronics second hand. It lets someone else take the crazy depreciation hits for me for their desires to have the biggest and best of whatever it is first. :woot:

And make sure before "rolling" glass , that the brasilian TV standard ISDB-T will display fine after 'unrolling' glass

You can't 'roll' an LCD screen, or even it's components - and dismantling the LCD panel is VERY likely to destroy it.

Sell the TV before you go, and buy a new one when you get there.

I just got back to Brasil from the USA. no one would buy the TV. I was selling for $250 -- for a 52" Sharp Aquos. That was just the asking price. I said the price is negotiable. This is ridiculous.

Anyone want to buy it? LOL

Thanks for the replies.

I have a "smart" 55" Samsung TV which is actually pretty dumb. I do need to review it here. I really don't want to sell it, but it seemed like the best overall choice. But it's a really stupid TV.

I have a 60 something inch Vizio smart TV with the same stupidity afflictions.

Apps and general functions access and lay out is clunky and the settings for certain screen adjustments, that I actually need, lock themselves out whenever certain screen sizes or video file formats are played.

80% great TV and 20% WTF, who's the idiots who programmed this thing issues? :mad:

Ask a Tv shop if they have any empty Tv boxes, then make yours fit in it, the airport probably wont notice the box doesnt match the Tv.
Do you know the Tv standard in Brazil is compatible with the set?, and of course the mains voltage.

Absolutely hilarious. maybe a new thread title "Dumb TV reviews" I'm interested in what the 20% WTF is.

It's the fact that whenever it goes into certina higher definition video modes it shuts off the brightness controls and dims itself down a noticeable amount. The last thing you want when watching a HD video.

Also many video formats have that stupid black border around them which given the TV has a screen zooming mode that eliminates that on over the air TV shows. Why they choose to shut that function off as well for the USB and HDMI inputs running certain resolutions or whatever formats where it would give the user fullscreen video is stupid.

Next is the multi step method of accessing video off a USB based source. All the other inputs are -one button access- via the remote but anything off USB sources takes multiple steps to get to even though it automatically recognizes that a USB source with video is present every time it's turn on or one is inserted.

Last is that it randomly turns on its internal subsystems power 3.3, 5 and 12 volt (except for the screen backlight inverters) to do whatever it is it has to do for 5 - 10 seconds. The only reason I know that is because I have it rigged up to automatically turn on my surround sound systems whenever it powers up. I had it set up initially to take the 5 volt source off the USB ports as a remote on/off trigger for the surround sound but that source once the TV is on does not actually stay on all the time the TV is on for whatever reason.

When first turned on it will power up for about 5 seconds then shut down for about 10 more then power up and read the USB source if it has one. After that it will stay on for a while then drop out for 5 - 10 seconds, even when in use, then come back on at random. Also when turned off it will power up for that odd 5 - 10 second then shut down.

I figured I could get past that by tying into the main power SMPS output on a the 12 volt rail that runs all the higher power stuff like the screen backlighting inverters. Nope. That still does the same random power up and shutdown thing when the TV is turned off anyway. The only thing it cured was the random shutdowns when it was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back