Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rodin coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njguy

I am aware of toroid cored inductors and that they produce no magnetic field outside or in the center of the toroid. Apparently a Rodin coil does produce a magnetic filed in the center but not the outside. Just by looking at the geometry this appears plausible. I have read some claims that the center magnetic field in a rodin coil is actually stronger than the field generated in a normal cylindrical coil of similar dimensions, although I have my doubts. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this and if it is so.

p.s. I know this guy is mostly a crack pot but his coil is interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting, perhaps. But any claims about it generating energy are in the realm of perpetual motion or over-unity energy devices and are bogus. Large transformers and motors are already over 90% efficient so I don't see that it could much help in those applications.

Interesting, perhaps. But any claims about it generating energy are in the realm of perpetual motion or over-unity energy devices and are bogus. Large transformers and motors are already over 90% efficient so I don't see that it could much help in those applications.

I am thinking that you are right. Just wondering if you had an examples of a 90% efficient motor.

Just wondering if you had an examples of a 90% efficient motor.

A large multi hundred HP industrial motor with a synchronous rotor design would easily operate in the mid 90% efficiency range.

Small neodymium based BLDC motors can also get into the 90% efficiency ranges as well.

there were cassette decks that had motors made by Robbins that were very efficient. as an experiment in braking force with one of these motors, i jumpered the power leads together and tried turning the shaft with a pair of pliers. either i wasn't able to get a good grip with the pliers or that shaft was super hard to turn (or maybe a bit of both). i know i couldn't turn it barehanded... and it was a small motor with a 1/8" dia spindle. without the jumper, the shaft would spin easily. the motor came out of a large data cassette drive that used standard c-30 cassettes to store data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back