Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

robotics help for newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz_sport

Hi everyone,

I wanted to build my own robot for a while, but i can't figure out what pieces can be used with which, etc. I was wondering if maybe one of you (or more :D ) could refer me to a project which lists the parts needed, with parts that are available in the northeastern us?

Thanks a lot,

Boaz

Since you're on internet you can find some of these components easily.

Obviously, parts depend on what kind of robot you want to build but here are some parts that I've used:

Microcontroller: 16F877 ( at 20 MHz it is pretty powerfull) or you can use cheaper, but slower (4 MHz) 16F627. The type of microcontroller usually depends on number and complexity of sensors that you want to add to the robot. You also need a programmer for the microcontroller. If you're using 16F627, you can get online schematic of El-Cheapo and build a programmer yourself.

You need an RS 232 chip for communications purposes.

And here are some sensors that you can use:
Ultrasonic: Devantec SRF04
IR: Sharp GPD12

Depending on the size and power of the robot there are a variety of DC motors that you can use:

If you have a smaller robot, try using stepper motors because of their easy control. However, you can use also use some DC motors with H-bridges. You can build your own H-bridge from transistors or you can simply buy LMD18200 H-bridge chip.

To measure speed, you can use encoders. I don't have any part numbers on hand, but there is an alternative in that you can build your own encoder from some parts contained in computer ball-type mouse.

I bet you I forgot to mention something, but a good book to robot design is "Programming Robot Controllers" by Myke Predko.

thanks, but i meant that i want a parts list with schematics, not just what pieces are good. i was thinking of gfetting a kit, but i found most of them to be unprogrammable and do not require soldering (i enjoy doing both). therefore, i wanted to know if there was a project i could do that is geared for beginners in robotics that involves programming and soldering.
i need to figure out what i am doing soon, so i dont have time to go buy a book. i would be grateful if you could answer quickly,

Thanks a lot,

Boaz

What kind of robot would you like to build?
Are you familiar with PIC programming?

There probably is a basic project on the net, but I've never used them, so i can't tell you much about them. I've just googled this one https://www.wizard.org/ , and it seems to have schematics.

See below for the basic PIC/RS232 schematic. You're definately going to need something like this if your robot is to have some form of advanced control. I don't know how much you know about pic programming, but I would recommend that you play around with external interrupts (useful for quadrature encoder readings (i.e. measures distance travelled)), analog pins (good for analog sensors), timers and PWM generators. This stuff is pretty easy but if you got crappy encoders or sensors they could really complicate things. Anyway robot sensors are pretty much "plug and play" except that you might need decoupling capacitors.

Attachments

• picwiring.png
    picwiring.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,104
i am not familiar with pic programming, but i do know assembly and c. if i were to buy a kit, is there anything you would suggest that would be a challenge, and contain programming and soldering?

I decided at the end to build a line follower using the Botboard Plus. Does anyone have experience with it/the guy who sells it?
for the line-following part, i searched the net and found people recommending red LEDs because they don't go through paper, as IR LEDs do, which could pose a problem. does anyone know of good LEDs/detectors i could use?

Thanks,

Boaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back