Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot treads

Status
Not open for further replies.

int12h

Anyone have experience with making treads (tracks) for a bot? Could you share your experience, i am looking for ideas.

thanks

hmmm...this might be useless to ask since noone responded to my original question, but...

I have treads on my robot, but they are slipping off the wheel hubs. Does anyone know of some sort of correction device that can keep the treads on the wheels?

thanks,
bd

tracks?

It's all physics. Question is, and always is, how big.

I will guess that you have a small bot that weighs in at less than 20lbs.

Use the thread from a mountian bike tire. Use a SHARP utility knife to seperate the side wall.
Try to use the whole tire thread so you don't have to splice. maybe you could use an idler pully to take the slack.
To keep the track on, your wheels might resemble spools.

Email pictures / specs of your bot to me. I can help you. And I full of it.

I have the same problem, that is, on a robot which doesn't yet exist.

I've had several suggestions from the guys at uni, the best of which seems to be to make your own with liquid rubber. molding a lip onto the edge.

Keep in mind I haven't done it yet....

Soft rubber treads are hard to come by, therefore a lot of people resort to the ones used in toys that were obsoleted. www.sozbots.com has some kits available. I have heard of people using double sided timing belts for cars, but I think these are expensive.

For the connection, this can vary. Many rely on simple friction with grooves to keep it aligned. There are other systems which look like a chain and sprocket..

Steve

Try o-rings

For non-traction (pulley to other wheels) use o-rings which are easily available. For traction (tank-style) timing belts would be your best bet. 2 normal problems: belts or any other arrangement slipping off the wheels
and the wheels not being properly aligned in the same plane. Avoid these problems

Nelwick has a full setof unusually large (though not very large) treads and sprockets.

**broken link removed**

There are also the tiny-sized plastic treads and sprockets that acroname and solarbotics carry. Pricey though. There is a set where the drive sprocket is made to go on servo motors, and another kind where the drive sprocket (has a different hole) to go on a specific kind of geared motor.

Last edited:
How about the drive belt from a chopper?

:eek: When I saw this thread I thought it was worth looking at but after a quick scan This is another case of bringing out posts from from years ago. Well just look at some of the titles on some of the O.P's :eek: I've never seen so many Site Admin's in one post:eek: Well I don't know when this forum was made but this post started in 2002 and 4 years later the post is taken up as it was yesterday.

In 4 years, absolutely no progress has been made on the availbility of tank treads for medium sized robots...how sad.

such is the timeless task of searching for miniature robot tank tracks...

Last edited:
I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but I'd guess it wouldn't be too tough to use roller chain and sprockets for treads, and cast rubber traction pads to attach to the chain. Roller chain is available in many sizes and styles and casting rubber is easy to find on the web.

Try contacting your local snow blower/ snow clearing machine thing dealership. The heavier duty models come with nice treads and sprockets/wheels. They may even be able to get you repair parts for cheaper than...a full machine.

We use them on our sumo robots without a hitch...they'll hold on our 75lb bot as well as our 150lb bot...

Try around for similar stuff, a timing belt just seems a bit extravagant.

int12h said:
hmmm...this might be useless to ask since noone responded to my original question, but...

I have treads on my robot, but they are slipping off the wheel hubs. Does anyone know of some sort of correction device that can keep the treads on the wheels?

thanks,
bd

What sort of wheel hubs are you using? Are the tracks like a flat belt inside? If so, the hubs need to be higher in the center than they are on each side, thus: <> . That way, the belt tends to ride up to the center and stay there.

Papabravo said:
How about the drive belt from a chopper?

If this is considered a dead-horse topic, I apologize.

I too am having a pretty tough time finding treads and such. New drive belts for choppers doesn't seem to be a cost-effective way to get rubber treads. 1.5" wide belts appear to be fetching $160 each. I have considered going to a local motorcycle shop to ask if I can get any used ones, I'd think the motorcycle owners try to get them routinely replaced before the break, and what I have in mind probably won't be nearly as demanding as a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back