Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot Efficiency & other Robot stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are unipolar.. six wire steppers with 2.3 ohms resistance..and i am using 5V to drive them.. the measured current is 1.4A... dosent add up..does it..hmm

hey again!
but wenn you take off the wheel and then drive it and hold it with fingers will youre stepper stopp? well i mean of course that you dont grab it wery strongly but enaugh hard(cant say the exact amount of force :wink:

bloody-orc said:
hey again!
but wenn you take off the wheel and then drive it and hold it with fingers will youre stepper stopp? well i mean of course that you dont grab it wery strongly but enaugh hard(cant say the exact amount of force :wink:
mine have a fair amount of torque.. when i run them if i grab the wheel tightly.. the rim will keep spining..
you have no torque on your steppers ?

bloody-orc said:
hey what steppers did you use and how much current\voltage do they take?
i´m thinking of mooving my own robot with steppers but when i put my stepper running on the table without any wheels or anything then it seems that the stepper is to weak :( i have a 5V\0.5A stepper and controller is uln2003a and pic
i am driving them with the exact configuration as Nigel has on his site except i am using IRF 510's instead of the ones he is using..

Attachments

• stepper.gif
    stepper.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,471
hey again!
ok mine are to weak. where did you get those? Did you bought them? All i have tried are all from copymashines\printers\etc. and it seems they are all toooo weak. :( :cry:

could you say all the information about them? all what is written on them...(if this is not mutch trouble)

well i've had a pretty good morning..
I found not one , but two 12V 2.3Ah batteries at a garage sale, they came with a Bell Atlantic Special Edition Cell Phone..Very early model..
$3.00!!!
Can U say Robot Power...lol

Attachments

• untitled_0007_0001.jpg
    untitled_0007_0001.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,295
:cry: Bad news..
i was programming and debugging my only 16F84A and something happened ..
it stopped running.. i was blinking LED's and trying to get the steppers to run on the pic.. the steppers didn't seem to have the power that they had when i was using the PC to drive them..
all of a sudden it just stopped blinking the LED's...tried to reprogram it but all it reads is ones...*sigh*
I did get two other pics when i ordered the 16F84A, but one is the 18F2220 a compleatly different animal , and a 16F874 .
But i am a little hesitant to use the new 40 pin 874 for fear that whatever happened to his little brother would befall him..lol
*sigh*

williB said:
:cry: Bad news..
i was programming and debugging my only 16F84A and something happened ..
it stopped running.. i was blinking LED's and trying to get the steppers to run on the pic.. the steppers didn't seem to have the power that they had when i was using the PC to drive them..
all of a sudden it just stopped blinking the LED's...tried to reprogram it but all it reads is ones...*sigh*

PIC's really take some killing, so you must have done something rather drastic to it! - I presume you were feeding it from 5V?, and have the required capacitors on the regulator IC?.

I did get two other pics when i ordered the 16F84A, but one is the 18F2220 a compleatly different animal , and a 16F874 .
But i am a little hesitant to use the new 40 pin 874 for fear that whatever happened to his little brother would befall him..lol
*sigh*

Ordering the obselete 16F84 seems a really strange thing to do?, why didn't you order it's modern replacement the 16F628, cheaper chip and a higher spec as well.

Ordering the obselete 16F84 seems a really strange thing to do?, why didn't you order it's modern replacement the 16F628, cheaper chip and a higher spec as well.
i did'nt know about it..

PIC's really take some killing, so you must have done something rather drastic to it! - I presume you were feeding it from 5V?, and have the required capacitors on the regulator IC?.
yes.. well they were on the other side of this cable..
ya see , i was using the 5v supply from the pc.. and the pc was fine,..it was still running..so .. i just dont know..

Attachments

• untitled_0006_0001_604.jpg
    untitled_0006_0001_604.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,296
Ok i am back in business..Got my new 628's from microchip yesterday ( in less than a week)..!!
tried programming one .. worked like a charm..so now i have to figure out what happened to the F84A.
Nigel recommended caps close to Vdd & Vss any recomendations on what values.?
I am thinking of supplying the 628 with its own 5v regulator .

williB said:
Ok i am back in business..Got my new 628's from microchip yesterday ( in less than a week)..!!
tried programming one .. worked like a charm..so now i have to figure out what happened to the F84A.
Nigel recommended caps close to Vdd & Vss any recomendations on what values.?
I am thinking of supplying the 628 with its own 5v regulator .

I would suggesting looking at my tutorial boards, they work very reliably, and I would certainly suggest you have a 5V regulator on the board!.

this is my current diagram.
the Eagle software didnt have a 16F628 but did have a 16F84A ..
I think that i turned the wheel by hand causing an induced voltage to ruin the last PIC.. hopefully it wont happen again..
Battery 2 is going to be NiMH 1.2 V batteries giving 4.8 Volts hope this is enough to turn the gates on..if not maybe a combination of batteries of different types will work..

Attachments

• stepper2.gif
    stepper2.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,194
this design is much better..
i scoped the LM317 output , not a blip to be found..
i think this one is a LOT safer for the PIC..

Attachments

• stepper3.jpg
    stepper3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back