Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot dc motors help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortion

i am making a robot with a rotating disk of 8KG and diameter of 1.5 ft . i want to rotate this disc using DC gear motor at a speed of 100 RPM . by my calculation that would require a an output power of 30 W . can someone confirm this calculation ??? it looks wrong to me . also if i use four 30W gear motors of different RPMs namely 100 , 200 , 300 , 400 and use them simultaneously to run the disc will the disc achieve 400 RPM ??? will this assembly work ??? i am building this robot as a hobby to compete in robo war on a local level . if anyone can help i will appreciate it

Why repeat your question?

i think he is attempting to build some sort of Hypnodisc clone.
described disc will have inertia of about I=0.2kg*m^2
here is nice reference: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

btw strapping motors with different speeds together will not make them move at top speed, there will be some equilibrium which is between slowest and fastest. you can imagine strapping turtle and rabbit togeter. rabbit on his own may be fast but - not as fast if he also needs to pull turtle.

Strap a rabbit and a turtle together with some carrots and potatoes. Salt and pepper. Hot water.
Very hungry.....I should go eat.

PanicMode I like your picture.

Panic mode you are absolutely right . i am trying to build a sort of hypn-disc clone. it is supposed to be my first year project. and by the way isn't moment of inertia of a disk 0.5 m r^2.

... isn't moment of inertia of a disk 0.5 m r^2.
yes, that is inertia equation for solid uniform disc of radius R.
to compute inertia you need to convert all units to same unit system.
in SI unit of length is meter, not foot.
1ft=0.3048m
1.5ft = 1.5 * 0.3048m=0.4572m
but radius is half of diameter or R=0.2286m
m=8kg
I=0.5*m*R^2=0.5*8kg*(0.2286m)^2
I=0.20903184 kg*m^2

now compare this to value in my previous post (just rounded to 0.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back