Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ripple/noise/voltage checker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi,
I am thinking of making two battery operated portable tools.
1) Tests for constant current ( up to 5A DC) or constant voltage up to 24 VDC and assesses loaded DC ripple/noise p-p, if possible down to 2 mV.

2) Tests audio capacitors for value & A.C. coupling noise/distortion.

For item 1) I suppose Linear Bipolar power transistors on a fan cooled processor heatsink can apply the 5A load.
An instrumentation OPA to amplify the ripple with a peak hold into a uC ADC to measure it with a precision Vref.

For Item 2:
I am not sure what is the best approach. I am wondering if I just rely on hearing to work. So I use a high quality reference capacitor into one side of a headphone and the output of the test cap into the other side with matched parts for volume and amplification from a standard 'source' material. Either a pure sinewave with variable freq. or an mp3 hifi source.

A ceramic capacitor can be microphonic where sound causes it to generate or modulate a signal which might cause acoustical feedback howling or distortion.
An electrolytic capacitor might be polarized without a DC voltage then it rectifies audio creating severe distortion. A ceramic or electrolytic capacitor value changes when the signal voltage changes that causes low frequency even-harmonics distortion.

It is easy to make a low distortion sinewave oscillator and distortion analyser.

For your distortion you could use a good soundcard in a PC, and use FFT to analyse the output. You could also use the soundcard as the sinewave source.

In my entire audio career I never tested any capacitors for noise or distortion because I used film capacitors (for coupling audio) that do not produce noise or distortion.
Maybe you want to use cheap electrolytic capacitors in a passive crossover network for a speaker? Then their wide tolerance and distortion will mess up the sound. Many people can hear 0.1% distortion, and some people can hear less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back