Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ribbon cable extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfish

I'm looking to extend the laser optical unit data cable pictured here

**broken link removed**

Is this a special type of ribbon cable? If so what is the name of it so that I can do a search to try and find longer one? If it is not, can i just get some standard shielded ribbon cable and trim it to fit? I know that the pin configuration will have to be the same. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

I tried a search for this last year but was unable to locate any apart from transceiver manufacturers and PS2 repair shops. I couldn't even locate the original manufacturer.

What's the plan? Put the cd tray in the dash and remote mount the rest elsewhere?

You got it! Mainly what I would like to do is to relocate the controler ports and memory ports. The PS2 will be mounted in the dash where the passenger airbag used to be. I dont want the cables in the way of any passengers. Also, it would just be cool....lol. I don't remember which one I actually need and my PS2 to do this. Do you have any ideas as to where I could get one or make one?

If the PS2 will fit where the pax airbag was then do you really need anything more than extender cables and ports.

If you put a (lockable) cover over the PS2, mount the control and memory ports in the cover and just use cables to connect the PS2 ports to the new ones would this be enough.

Just a thought.

That sounds really good but....are the extensions just for the controlers or do the have some for the memory cards also. I was under the impression that only extensions for the controlers were made. I need both the controler ports and the memory card ports relocated. It would also make the instaltion much easier if i could extend the lazer cable also. Is there any way to change the type of ribbon cable? Maybe to something that is the length that i need? I dont know if the ribbon cable has to be a certain resistance or any other factors that maybe a cause for concern. I think I'm at a loss on this one....I sure hope not.

I suspect that you could have trouble with signal degradation/interference from other systems by extending the cable. You will only find out when you try it.

You could make up 2 small pcbs. Each one has 2 connectors - 1 for the PS2 cable and 1 to take a DIL header. Use minimum length tracks. Use screened cable between the 2 pcbs. This would also mean you have to buy 1 PS2 cable.

You can buy the memory/controller ports - they come in 1 piece.

See....

https://www.psxrepair.com/shop/Parts2064.htm

Or get them from a scrap unit. Have a look at the original PS. Externally they appear the same (If I remember correctly) but I don't know if the inner part of the ports is identical. If they are then you can pick a broken unit up quite cheaply - £5 approx in UK - and save a wad.

Once you've done it let us know how/if(?) it works

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back