Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB Values Mystery .. .. .. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Morning Guys

A couple of nights ago I got incredibly bored and did a little mooching in a box of odd bits I bought at a Sunday Market some time ago. I came across a small module marked TCS 34725 and a quick google suggested it was a 'colour sensor module' for which I found quite a bit of info including a plan to hook it up to an Arduino, which I promptly did. The plan used the Serial Monitor @ 115200 baud so I added a small TFT to make it easier to follow .. .. .. .

IMG_0534.JPG

It seems to work OK, but the values given for Red, Green & Blue are always high 3 digit and mostly 4 digit numbers not the 0 - 255 I was expecting. I had a good google and I can't find any reference to a colour scale with that sort of range and those numbers to me are a bit meaningless.

Does anybody recognise the scale please ?

MM

Hi Mike

R:26; G:15; B:16; C:28;

Lux: 0;

I think that's to be expected;

There is an LED on the board ( I turned it off for the pic ) and the sensor reads the light reflected from the object colour .. .. .. at least, I think that's what it does .. .. so completely covering will prevent any reflection.

MM

Incidentally, ignore the 'Same' , 'Diff', & 'ORANGE' bits of the TFT; that's just me playing about with my ambitions !

MM

If you're using an LED to illuminate it then you're limited to the spectrum of the illuminating LED. Maybe try a small torch (flashlight ) bulb.

Mike.

If you're using an LED to illuminate it then you're limited to the spectrum of the illuminating LED. Maybe try a small torch (flashlight ) bulb.

Mike.

As the LED is part of the board it's colour is presumably correct for the complete design - and a torch bulb gives a really horrible colour light, which wouldn't be correct for the sensors - not to mention torch bulbs have VERY short design lives (single digit hours!).

Didn't realise it was a built in LED. If so then a rather neive design?

Mike.
Edit, one day I'll learn how to spell that word.

I did try varying the white light source .. .. but it only affected the colour temp. & the 'Clear' reading .. .. ..

It seems to work perfectly .. .. I can get recognisable readings for each primary colour without a problem, and I suppose one solution would be to use the Arduino to divide the results mathematically, but that may affect accuracy some.

I was convinced there was an RGB scale I didn't know about .. .. .. .. .. .. .

Thanks for your thoughts .. .. .. .. .

MM

Didn't realise it was a built in LED. If so then a rather neive design?

Mike.
Edit, one day I'll learn how to spell that word.

There's an 'a' in it somewhere - but it's 'one of those words' :D

But as for 'naive', probably not, it's designed specifically for it's intended use, and (presumably) has a correctly specified LED fitted.

This part looks like the same part I used but from a different company. " Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. / TAOS " Yes the same part. Used many 1000 of these.
It is hard to get "dark". Light leaks in and through the walls of a box. " 3,800,000:1 dynamic range "
I think the dark number should be in the 0 to 5 range.
Any way in production we had a dark test and then substracted that number from the readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back