Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rgb led control system

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEwannabe

I am in the process of designing a control system for an array of red green and blue leds. The main problem is not with the array itself, but more with the control system. The effect I am going for is a fading of the combinations of colors to simulate a transition through the rainbow. I don't want it to be jerky from one color to the next, but more fluid. I know this can be done quite simply with a micro and some code through pwm. The only problem I have with that is that I don't know which micro I should/can use and I don't have a programmer for the chip. I am curious as to the existense of a primarily logic/analog solution that won't break the bank. Right now I am stuck on a 555 timer and a 4029 counter but that doesn't give enough discrete transitions and the leds are at full brightness for each individual step. I have used capacitors to control the fade time and smooth the transitions, but that doesn't give me much control and is not even thoughout the cycle. I want this to almost be unnoticed as it changes. The idea is that it will be like a "color wash" on the walls. This is similar to the "color cove" by Color Kinetics. I have considered a crude d/a converter, but I am not exactly confident in my abilities and the implementation. Would there be any way to go about this without a micro and attain any sort of success? Or, would there be a "cheap" micro solution for a person without all of the equipment for micros?
I am a junior EE major. So, I don't have all of the tools of knowledge, but am fairly able. I appreciate any help with this design

The PIC is easy to start with (very common), but in the easy to use DIP pkgs, I don't think there are any with more than 2 hardware driven PWM outputs. I believe Atmel has ones with more PWM outputs in a DIP.

You can still do PWM output inside software. It'll be a lower frequency, but it probably won't be noticible flicker as long as you go over 100 hz.

You probably would not want to use a D/A chip.

That sounds like the trick. Typically, what pic would you reccomend for this application? what are some of the characteristics that I need to take into account when looking at these micros? Specifically, how is the micro going to relate to the amount of code that I want to implement? Along those lines, what particular language should I work in?

If the pic doesn't need to do anything else but controlling the leds it can easely generate PWM in software on many pins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back