RFID Antenna Multiplexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple1

Working on a project with RFID reader, tags, and antennas. I want to be able to scan through 70+ antennas and read any and all RFID tags that are within range. From there the RFID reader would send the information to a micro controller or Arduino board.

To do this i thought of using: 1 RFID reader, 16 multiplexers, counter or 555timer, and the antennas.

What I want it to do: The idea was to connect an array of antennas to the 16x1 multiplexers. The antennas would be cycled through 1 by 1 to check for RFID Tags. This would then be fed to the RFID reader.
Another way of looking at it - - - Picture a table with an array of 75 antennas on its surface and you toss a couple RFID tags on the table. Now what i want it to do is scan through each antenna to count all the tags on the table and send the info to the RFID reader / Arduino board.

The problem:
If i try to connect more than 3 antennas the read distance goes down dramatically. It actually goes down 1/2 the distance with each additional antenna. By the time i connect about 5 antennas they wont read the tags anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i would be able to setup an array of antennas that feed info to 1 RFID reader?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…