Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF signal generator 3 Mhz up to 30 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mori

Hi everybody
I need to generate mhz range RF signal generator , 3 mhz up to 30 mhz please help me.

Could use a "RF Signal Generator". The picture is of a very old one.
1585745108730.png

You mean miliHertz or MegaHertz actually?

Buy or build?

Sending a letter to Google is an option to you?

If you only need an unmodulated sine wave, consider also looking for "Function Generator". Many of the better ones can generate up to 30 MHz. Function Generators are not as stable or low noise as an RF signal generator, and often the RF signal generator has a better variable attenuator.

For an RF signal generator, consider something like this:
**broken link removed**

I endorse the circuit linked by Nigel. It looks like a good basis for a project. For those more ambitious, using a DDS with a controller IC will be more flexible, but also more difficult to build. Example: AD9834 DDS chip.

with a standard oscillator like a Colpitts or Hartley, you will need a bandswitch and a few sets of coils because a tuning capacitor doesn't have the range to cover the whole decade of the HF spectrum. you may notice that Ron's signal generator dial has several frequency scales, and the knob to the right of the frequency dial is a 6 position rotary switch to select the bands shown on the dial.

To design an oscillator that can cover the entire range with one coil, you design an oscillator that varies from, for example, 123 to 150 MHz (which can be done with one coil), and follow that with a mixer with 120 MHz local oscillator and follow that with a 40MHz low pass filter. This is, unfortunately, more complicated than using band-switching.

I endorse the circuit linked by Nigel. It looks like a good basis for a project. For those more ambitious, using a DDS with a controller IC will be more flexible, but also more difficult to build. Example: AD9834 DDS chip.

I even bought one of these but found the filter at the output (to cover the whole range) very hard (for me) to calculate, build and test.
I ended buying a SIGLENT ????10, which I pretty much suspect is built with one of them inside. Their sweeping capability in both channels is extremely useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back