Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF 50 Ohms Dummy Load PCB Design (High Frequency Ground Plane)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,
I did some re-design and I need your opinion on it.

The specifications of the design is like this :
Trace thickness : 0.036mm
Substrate height : 0.8mm
Trace Width : 1.5mm for 50ohms and 0.3 mm for 100 ohms.
Substrate Dielectric : 4.3

Since I am doing it from the begining I wanted to do as JimB advised, two 20dB and one 10dB attenuator. The first 20dB attenuator for 5W dissipation and the other two are 50mW dissipation. You can see the values of the resistors on the schematic picture.

One thing that I couldn't figure out here is the width of the tracks when routing the attenuators. Should it be as thick as 50ohms or something different, I don't know this because I have never seen it before.

Looking forward to hear my mistakes and your suggestions.

Editted the pictures.

Attachments

• br1.PNG
    br1.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 222
  • br.PNG
    br.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
The combination of the two 100R input load resistors in parallel with the 50 ohm attenuator section makes the input 25 ohm; you have to make the attenuator input (the 62 Ohm) rated at the power you need, without any other resistors

And, the 750 Ohm resistors will dissipate relatively low power.

There are similar mismatch point between other attenuator sections.

The combination of the two 100R input load resistors in parallel with the 50 ohm attenuator section makes the input 25 ohm; you have to make the attenuator input (the 62 Ohm) rated at the power you need, without any other resistors

And, the 750 Ohm resistors will dissipate relatively low power.

There are similar mismatch point between other attenuator sections.
I editted the schematic and PCB layout and tried to fix what you have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back